twenty-eight

.・゜゜・
* if you'd like, when you see this star, begin listening to "reconciliation" by bear mccreary! it's from the walking dead soundtrack and i feel that it really enhances the experience. i was listening to it while i wrote the end of this chapter :) hope all of you enjoy! x

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧
( 𝘚𝘛𝘈𝘙𝘚. )

DESPITE THE LATE NIGHT, Murphy awoke early the next day to get to work

DESPITE THE LATE NIGHT, Murphy awoke early the next day to get to work. Because of the trouble with Pete, she thought it best to let him warm up to the idea of her joining him at work. Murphy was able to catch a few moments to look over the facility while he was in and out of the infirmary. It had plenty of equipment and more than enough medicine. Murphy would have loved to start then and there, beginning checkups or something that would help the people, but she didn't want to create any conflict. She had the rest of the group to think about, not just herself. They all needed this place.

Because of that, she opted to spend the day with Maggie and Deanna. It was a calm evening. Murphy couldn't recall a time where she was ever able to sit down with a cup of coffee, discussing plans for the future with two incredible and brilliant women. Alexandria was in good hands, that was certain. The expansion would allow an area for crops and more buildings. They'd be completely self-sufficient. For the first time since the beginning of all of this, Murphy had faith in not only people... but community as well.

Slowly, the day went by and the sky grew dim. It was time to head home. Maggie and Murphy bid Deanna good night, and left her house. They spoke with each other, looking around the blossoming neighborhood and envisioning something more- something greater. As they reached the house, a voice called Murphy's name from behind them.

"Murph."

They turned around to see Daryl approaching, wiping his hands with his red rag. He had been doing some finishing repairs to the bike, Murphy assumed. He slowed his gait as he approached, his shoulders swinging with every step. A wide smile broke across her face.

Maggie set a hand on her shoulder, "I'm gonna head inside. Have fun."

Murphy rolled her eyes playfully as Maggie entered the house, throwing one last look over her shoulder at the two. Murphy's eyes fell away from the door as it closed, and she turned to face the man who made her day.

"Hey," she smiled, stepping closer. "You finish the bike?"

Daryl hummed, stuffing the rag into his pocket once more. He left his hands in his back pockets, his shoulders pulled back. He bit his lip nervously, "I was wonderin'... you wanna go on a ride?"

Murphy's jaw dropped slightly, but her face warmed as well. She responded softly, "I've never been on a motorcycle before."

"This'll be the first time, then," Daryl responded with no hesitation. He set a gentle hand on her upper back. "C'mon."