Epilogue: Something New

The Malfoy Mansion was decorated with colourful banners and balloons all over the place. When Katherine took a look around the finished room, she clapped her hands together excitedly.

"Is this really necessary?" Draco raised an eyebrow at his wife. "Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all, but he's not going to remember anything."

"It's his first birthday, Draco! Are you suggesting that we should just pat him on the head and continue on with our day just because he's not going to remember it?"

"No, no," the blonde put his hands up in surrender. "I'm not suggesting anything. Have it your way."

"That's what I thought," she nodded. "It looks good, right?"

"Good enough for a one-year-old."

"Draco!"

"Sorry! It looks fantastic, Katherine."

"Okay. Let's get back to the living room now."

He nodded, then the two of them headed over to the said room where their guests were.

"Look! You're flying! How can you do that, kiddo? I'm impressed!"

"Careful, Cyrus," Lucius scolded him with narrowed eyes. "Don't drop him."

"Loosen up, old man. We're just having fun, aren't we, Arvin?" He held the little boy up in the air with a grin, making him giggle. "See? He loves it!"

Narcissa and Joanna were sitting on one of the sofas, chatting while their husbands watched over the baby.

"Alright," Katherine smiled. "Should we head over to the dining room for the you-know-what?"

"You can say cake," Draco frowned. "It's not like he understands."

"Don't you underestimate my son!"

"Your son? Ouch."

"Just take him in there while I get the cake, will you?"

"Sure."

"Oh, I'll get the camera!" Cyrus exclaimed happily, handing the little boy over to his father.

Katherine went to the kitchen to get the cake she made earlier that day and put one single candle in the middle of it. Grabbing the tray it was resting on, she started walking towards the dining room.

When she stepped inside the room, everyone started clapping, except for Cyrus, who was too busy recording everything but decided to just start cheering instead.

The little boy's huge brown eyes started sparkling as he watched her mother put the cake down on the table in front of him.

"Happy birthday, Arvin Septimus Malfoy," Draco stared at him proudly.

"Why are you so formal?" Katherine furrowed her eyebrows. "He's your son, not a colleague."

"Oh, Merlin," Cyrus pretended to wipe a tear away. "I remember the day you were born very clearly, little boy. It's like it was only one year ago."

"Maybe because it was one year ago?" Lucius squinted his eyes at him.

"That's the joke, my friend. But we're still working on your humour, so I'll let it slide. Anyway, gather round everyone! Time for a group picture!"

They did as he requested and stood around the little blonde boy.

After the flash blinded them, they finally sat down at the table and cut the cake up.

"I can't believe it," Joanna smiled gently. "Time flies by so fast. Before we know it, little Arvin will be off to Hogwarts."

"My little Slytherin boy," Draco said dreamily, making Katherine snort.

"He's not going to be a Slytherin."

"Yes, he will."

"He's not. Does he look like a Slytherin to you?"

"Why, what is a Slytherin supposed to look like?" He tilted his head to the side.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "But not like him, that's for sure."

"A lot can change in ten years, Katherine."

"Well, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see."

"Airplane!" Cyrus cut in, moving a tiny fork with cake on it in front of Arvin's mouth, which was open while his eyes followed the dessert.

"He's having way too much fun," Draco whispered to Kat.

"I know I'm getting older, but I can still hear, you know," her father replied. "And there's no such thing as too much fun, am I right, Arvin?" He tickled him, earning a big smile in return.

The blonde shook his head with a smile, then they continued on celebrating the little boy's very first birthday.

Draco had no idea about what their future would be like, but he did know one thing.

In that moment, he was happy.

A/N:

So... It's over. Thank you so much to all of you who read this story, I hope you weren't disappointed by it.

The spin-off is definitely happening (coming soon, hopefully), I posted the book with an Author's Note so you can find it on my page and save it in your library if you're interested. The title is "In Your Shadow". It's going to be different, but hopefully in a good way. I really enjoy writing it, so I hope you'll like it too.

[UPDATE: THE SPIN-OFF (IN YOUR SHADOW) IS NOW COMPLETED.]

On the other hand, I also started working on another HP fanfic. It's not a Draco one, however it is going to be about another Slytherin icon... But WHO could it be? 👀 So if that's something you're interested in, then you might want to follow me, just saying...

Anyway, thank you again for reading this story all the way through! I'm extremely thankful!

THE END.