Chapter 2 - Rosewood

"Hi girls!" a charming, upbeat voice practically squealed after entering an ordinary suburban home in an anything but ordinary town. "Can I pick them up?"

"You don't have to ask, you know," the two babies' mother replied from the white, modern kitchen. "Grace and Lily adore you."

Two tender hands lifted Grace out of her highchair and a purely innocent smile spread across the child's face. Gazing at the bundle of joy, a tear came to the blonde's eye.

"Mal, are you okay?" the brunette questioned, walking over to her with a glass of ice water in her hand.

"Sometimes I wish I had kids of my own, you know?" Mal admitted, smelling Grace's head.

"I'm sure you'll find that special someone." The significantly taller woman handed Mal the glass of water, swapping it for the baby.

"I thought I did." She took a deep breath, inhaling to hold back the tears.

"Evie," the mother voiced. Mal nodded affirmatively. "You know, the house across the street is for sale. You should move to Rosewood. Closer to me, closer to the girls."

A faint grin appeared on Mal's face.

"It's a kind suggestion, Emily, I just–I fit better in Ravenswood. I'm more comfortable there. You're a gorgeous woman, you live a beautiful life." She gestured to the house. "You belong in Rosewood, while I... don't." Mal ended on a dull note, reflecting the dark history she had only recently let go of.

"It's not always beautiful," Emily responded with a more serious tone, her eyes drifting to a photograph on the mantel above the fireplace. A small silver frame surrounded the three by five picture taken in that very house only a few months prior. A constant reminder of the life she had cherished with her now separated family. The girls were smaller then, only just born. Emily's hair was neater, better kept. The bags and creases near her eyes were less noticeable.

"You should go," Mal interjected, pulling Emily from her daze. The brunette gave a puzzled look. "I've seen the tickets in your nightstand drawer for this Friday. You've been debating it for weeks."

"I don't think–"

"I'll come with you." She stepped closer to her friend, arms crossed. "I've been meaning to get in touch with Ms. Vanderwal anyways."

"Mona Vanderwal?" The single mom's voice suddenly possessed disapproval.

"Yeah, she has a lot of information about–"

"No, not a chance." It was Emily's turn to cut off Mal. "She tortured me and my friends and I finally got her out of my life when she moved to Oregon."

"Love, that was high school. Plus, you've got me now. I'll protect you." Her tone was baby like, playfully mocking the beautiful woman before her. She knew that Emily would regret not going. If there wasn't a relationship to be salvaged, there was at least closure to be found.