Chapter Eight

"Adversity is the first path to truth

"Adversity is the first path to truth." - Lord Byron

It has been almost twenty-four hours since Alia last saw Gamma Christian.

After his departure, she had felt too anxious to face the outside world and as a result locked herself inside the house until the following sunrise where she ventured in search of the local training centre. The tension in her muscles was wearing down on her and training is one of the best ways she can unwind.

Finding her way there was a struggle. She had spent hours wandering through the Pack trying to find the establishment herself and she began to regret it after the first hour.

Dressed in athletic gym wear, she discreetly averted her gaze from every person she passed. She did not want trouble of any kind; she doesn't yet know these people and it may be that the smallest thing could tick them off. But, if a fight did occur, she would defend herself until her last breath and she'd be damned if she didn't bring some of the wolves down with her.

Due to the time of her departure, very few members of the Pack were out, which she was grateful for, but by the third hour she had reached her peak of frustration and not even the warm, orange sky could calm her.

Alia swore at herself and travelled back the way she came from. She would go and ask Liam for help. The walk back to her house allowed her to fully take in the scenery as she was previously too distracted trying to find the centre...

Thick, tall trees create a dense border surrounding the open lands of the Pack, acting as protection from the true border and any feeble-minded assailants. Days travel would be required to reach the Pack members and by that time, the intruders would have already been sensed. A Pack like this most likely has patrolling wolves on constant alert and their relaxed demeanours only amplifies her suspicion. Their presence must have been what she had felt on arrival.

Alia is sure that the element of surprise does not exist here. These individuals are far to aware and threatening to let attackers have it easy. She suspects that, given the chance, they would tear those fiends limb from limb, making them wish they never stepped foot onto their territory.

A glance toward the trees reminds her of the uneasiness she had felt the day previous and as if a switch has been flipped, those exact emotions come back almost ten-fold.

Alia collapses to the ground with a strangled cry.

Her fingers grip the grass beneath her as she struggles to control her rough breathing. Never before has she felt such a sensation, such anxiety and pain. Harsh breaths escape through clenched teeth as her body tries to fight the force from the forest whilst her form is pushed down by an invisible weight. A sharp pain travels up her neck as it tilts her head further back, baring the vulnerable flesh to the world. She squeezes her eyes shut and allows her body to fall to the side, muscles aching at the strenuous activity. A deep visceral pain blooms from her chest, lighting a fiery path towards her throat that makes her scream.