Chapter 2

America's P.O.V

I jolted up. My heart raced, and my body was shaking from the dream. No, a nightmare. My chest ached from how fast my heart was pounding. I took gulp after gulp of air, trying to calm my pounding heart down. 

Eventually, my breathing steadied and I stopped trembling, the throbbing in my chest stalled as I just sat there. I subconsciously brought my legs closer to my chest, as I furrowed my brow.

My mind kept running circles around me, as I tried to remember the thing. However, no matter how much effort I put into recalling the dream, I was unsuccessful. 

I laid my head back on my pillow in hopes of getting a few more hours of sleep. However, the world was against me, for whenever I got close to the realm of rest, my eyes jutted open and I was forced to start all over again.

I decided that it was pointless to waste all this time for an unachievable goal, so I flung my legs over the bed and got up. 

I looked at the clock on my bedside table, it read three forty-nine am. It was really early, too early in fact. I set out on gathering my clothes for the day. Opening my closet, I was standing face-to-face with sparse comfy clothing and a lot of t-shirts. I decided to throw on a plain black long-sleeved shirt. Besides, it's not like my states will care about my taste in clothing. To go with it, I grabbed some dark sweatpants and some socks. 

Once I had them all stuffed into my arms, I headed towards the bathroom. 

Fridged water ran down my back, as I ran my hands through my hair. I relished in the fresh feeling that it brought me. My brain had awakened more, and the dream soon vanished from my mind.

I walked out of my bathroom, feeling alive from the shower.

I measured my options, I could either go downstairs and make an early breakfast for the states, or I could write another entry, but I wrote one yesterday, and I had nothing to make it about. That being the case, I decided to go with my first option, since I wouldn't be here to make them a meal tomorrow due to the meeting.

I grabbed the doorknob, turned it, and opened the door. Walking downstairs, I started to hear voices, two voices to be exact, and I wondered who could be up this early in the morning. I also heard some music, it was faint, but it was there nonetheless. 

I trotted into the open living room, in hopes of seeing who was up. Luckily, the two states were sitting on the couch, staring at the flat-screen TV.

"Good morning Maine, New Hampshire." 

They both turned their heads, slightly in shock of being discovered. 

"Hi, dad. How's it going?" Maine asked her sweet self showing.

"I'm alright, just tired, but I can't fall asleep." New Hampshire paused the show that they were watching. "How did you two sleep?"

The girls glanced at each other with a bashful smile that hid their true feelings, "Well, you see..."

"We didn't sleep." Maine finished. I sighed as I shook my head, they always did this, even if I got tried to make them go to bed.

"And why couldn't you go to sleep?" She inquired, looking over the couch at me. It was an attempt to distract me from their behavior.

I moved towards their side of the couch, sitting down on New Hampshire's right. "Just a bad dream, it isn't anything that you should worry about. What about you girls, what are you up this early, again?" I brushed off.