Chapter 35: Max

"Max, man. Would you stop?"

Heavy footsteps halted at the man's tired pleads. His eyes barreled down on DaKarie in resentment.

He had been pacing for the better part of an hour, waiting for the boys to arrive. Per Karie's demands.

The breakdown earlier was..not at all intentional. What was meant to happen; a distant memory in comparison to their current (deeply unsettling and surprisingly traumatic) situation.

"Well," Karie exasperated, standing. "You clearly have shit you wanna say so say it."

"I shouldn't have to say it man," Max retorted. "You aren't that stupid, how can you not see that?"

I know you wouldn't make me do this, you're just angry.

"I see it, alright? I know this shit is..a lot to ask b-

"Well you aren't asking are you?" Max grumbled. Karie just stared after him helplessly.

"You can't just tell me shit like that and expect me to just forget about it."

He understood the man's concern or worry for him.

In a fucked up way; if Karie hadn't been doing what he was doing to make Max feel so shitty, he might actually be enjoying it.

Knowing the man cared enough to want to burn down the world it seemed. But it wasn't the world that would be burned, it was him.

"That's exactly what I expect you to do. It's the past Karie, that's it. I- I had a slip."

"Fuck that." He was clearly unconvinced, no doubt thinking back on Max's silent sobbing.

The guy shouldn't have seen it. Shouldn't have been worried the way Max worried him.

"You hid this shit from us. It clearly fucked you up or we wouldn't be here right now would we?"

Pachuco..

Max could hear it in his voice. Karie wouldn't willingly admit it but he didn't really need to. It fucking sucked.

Max wanted to give him a night to remember.

This was not what he had in mind.

"Look, man just..tell them. That's all I ask. They deserve to know I mean shit..don't you trust them? Wouldn't you wanna know if one of 'em got..."

"Got what?"

"You know what I mean." Karie sighed. Max did.

It's not like it was a subject he was too comfortable with either.

Just the thought made his insides coil and he'd have the sudden urge to punch himself.

..don't analyze that, it's nothing.

"Wouldn't you wanna know?"

Yes. Then we would commit murder. Freddy and Jason shit but enemies to lovers.

"Plus, their dads are rich ass lawyers. You tell them what happened, we find the man, they can help make him pay."

He stared for a second, confused.

"That's what this is about?" He got the whole revenge thing but..going to a lawyer? Bringing it to authorities, making his case known to the world? And his family?

He grabbed his face, exhausted.

"Karie, I told you I don't know who he was. It was a long time ag-

"Doesn't matter, man. Well find him."