Twenty Four - Sophie

Sophie awoke on a dry patch of grass. Actually, all the grass around her was dry. The hot afternoon heat of California blazed down, shriveling the plant life.

California. She was in California.

Everything came rushing back—Lady Gisela, falling from the bridge, her ankle. The crashing memories gave her an instant headache. Along with that her ankle still throbbed, and there was a strange sensation in her heart. It felt like she'd been struck by lightning. Or electrocuted.

She gasped. How was she still alive? Didn't she die? Didn't she drown; fall to her death?

After her rage of thoughts had passed, she finally lifted her gaze.

Keefe.

Tears were falling freely from his face, and he looked like he was about to black out from exhaustion. His clothing was drenched and his face was pale. For a second she could've sworn his hands were glowing, but she decided it was just the sun's glare.

He looked worse than Sophie imagined she did—and that was saying a lot.

"Keefe?" It came out in a whisper, her voice fragile and timid.

She pulled herself into a sitting position and, despite everything, smiled.

"You saved me." It wasn't a question. Sophie knew the second she spoke the words they were true. His ability was dangerous, but it also had its benefits—like for instance, restarting her heart. That would probably come in handy more times than one.

Keefe was kneeling beside her, tears slipping down his face. He looked choked up, like he couldn't talk. But he didn't need to.

Sophie gently reached out her hand and brushed away a tear from his cheek.

"You're alive," he said softly, his voice more full of emotion than she'd ever heard it.

"I'm alive," she confirmed, smiling a small smile.

Ignoring the pain circulating throughout her body, Sophie reached out and pulled him into a hug. She embraced him with the little strength she could manage, easing his shaking until he stilled. He dug his face into her shoulder, and she did the same.

Sophie didn't cry. Keefe had always been there for her when she cried; now it was her turn to do the same.

"I love you," he whispered into her hair.

She held him tighter. "I love you too."

The words seemed to finally bring her back to reality, and a couple silent tears streaked down her face.

They were just two teenagers in the middle of a zoo, crying on each other's shoulders. It almost made Sophie laugh—almost.

The world was pretty messed up. But Sophie had Keefe and he had her. Their love was an unbreakable bond that no one could bruise, not even the Neverseen.

Sophie and Keefe may not have been invincible, but their love was.

And that was enough.