Chapter 11: Romance

"So, I've been talking to Sam a lot in class. He's actually pretty cool." Madeline says. We're on the way to school, Maddie stayed the night last night so we decided she would just ride with me.

"Yeah he's alright." I shrug.

"He really does hate that Colby's being difficult." She sighs.

I roll my eyes, it's his decision and people should stop trying to spin it. He has a choice just like I did. Our choices just are very different. "I appreciate Sam for being so caring but it's Colby's decision."

"It's the wrong decision." Rya mumbles from the back seat.

I park my car and unbuckle my seat belt, getting my book bag from the back seat. "Let's just all stop talking about the situation. I just want to have a normal conversation for once. Not everything has to do with the baby." I get out my car after grabbing my keys. I feel bad for being so blunt, but I'm sick of hearing his name.

Madeline and Rya get out after me and I lock the doors. I walk ahead of them into the school, I just wanted a moment of peace.

I quickly get to my locker to put away my things. I see Madeline and Rya both walking towards me, but the bells rings. I see them both frown when I walk pass them.

I'm thankful for them and I'm really glad they both care but it's like that's all we can talk about. I want to hear the gossip and I want to banter with Rya. Now it's constant baby talk.

***

Finally the last block of the day. I get it go home and take a nap in just over an hour. Thank god.

I sit in my seat up front. English has always been one of my favorite subjects in school, so I actually enjoy this class.

I take out my essay that's due and my notebook and textbook. I based my essay around romanticism in literature, one of my favorite aspects of art. I love to write and express my feelings through drawing. It's one of my getaways. Lately I haven't been able to because my mind is elsewhere, but maybe if I get enough strength to start again it'll help with the stress.

"You can sit beside Amara." My head lifts up as my teacher speaks to a boy. He was y'all and had dark hair, wearing glasses and a simple t shirt and shorts. I've never seen him before now, he's definitely new.

He looks at me for a moment before taking the seat next to me. I give him a soft smile, "You're new?" I ask. He nods his head and laughs. "My names John, I moved from a couple hours away." "Nice to meet you." I put my hand out, offering a shake. He lightly shakes my hand and smiles.

"Today we're just going to peer review our essays. You and the person you're sitting next to can swap papers. Give feedback and maybe some pointed in how they can improve their essay." Mr. Lee explains our assignment to us. "You'll have until the bell rings and I'd like a comment sheet to be turned in on your way out."

I put my textbook and notebook back into my back bag before turning to John. "You can go ahead and read mine. I'm sure you don't have one." I laugh and hand him my paper.

I get tense when someone reads my essays, especially ones where I express a lot of emotion. I put a lot into my work and I'm always scared of someone criticizing me. But, that's the whole point of school. Someone has to criticize you so you can learn.

John begins reading my paper. I awkwardly look around the room and at him. I study is facial expressions, he's smiling as he reads. He flips to the next page, placing his chin on his hand. I follow his eyes to the bottom of my paper.

"Wow." He smiles and hands it to me. "That's really good." I smile and blush, putting my paper away. "Thank you. Any comments or concerns?" I bite my lip.

"Well, I absolutely love the emotion. You really added a lot of symbolism and expression in there. Just the way you used your words made me feel the romance. And I like how you pointed out how romance can be sweet but also obsessive and cruel. Not many people have that perception."

"Like I said in the essay, romance isn't just flowers and sunshine. People take it too far and become obsessive. They can be romanced with the idea of revenge or murder." I shrug my shoulders.

"You're a genius." He laughs. I shake my head no, "I'm just average."

"Nobody that's average is as open minded as you." He sighs, "But you did forget to add the page numbers to your citations." I laugh and write it down on a separate piece of paper.

"You're a romantic, arent you?" He asks shyly. "I mean, I love the idea of romance. I just don't have any experience." I look away from him from embarrassment. "You don't need experience to understand love." He says.

We spend the rest of the class period enthusing about our ideas surrounding romance. I've never been able to talk to someone who had the same viewpoint as me. Nor have I ever found someone who cared enough to listen.

"What's your number? Maybe we can hang out sometime." He puts his bag on as the bell rings. I smile and get his phone from him, "There you go." I hand it back to him. "Okay, I texted you so you'd have my number." I feel my phone vibrate as he sticks his in his pocket. "I'll see you tomorrow." We both walk out of the classroom and head separate ways.

That's exactly what I needed. Someone just to talk to.