| Twenty-one

EMERY FINDS herself dressing up once again, for yet another party. It's May's birthday, and Emery knows she will have invited most of the school. May's good at being friends with everybody.

Emery slips on a dress that she has designated especially for May's birthday. Just then she gets a call from the birthday girl herself.

May speaks out as soon as she answers. "Don't wear that dress."

Emery furrows her brows. "What are you talking about?" She asks innocently, knowing exactly which dress.

May scoffs. "You know what I'm talking about! The one you wear every year. I'm turning eighteen and I would be very happy if you wore something... out of your comfort zone." She can hear the smile through the screen.

Emery covers the speaker, letting out a frustrated groan. She puts the phone back to her ear.

"But May!" She whines.

"Oh come on, the theme is metallic. See you there!" May hangs up.

Emery throws the phone onto her bed, heading into her closet. The only thing she finds is a cropped metallic cami, which surprises her that something like that is even in there.

She's a bit wary about the cropped part, but just goes with it, like she's been doing recently. She pears it with some cuffed blue jeans. She happens to also have a silver ribbon that she pulls back her brown tresses with.

She drives to the party in her own car, arriving to the very familiar house. There are already people going in, and Emery mentally prepares herself. She even makes a plan:

Greet, present, food, leave.

Very simple, just how she likes it.

She enters the decent sized house, with the tiny present in her palm. The loud music is playing and Emery only thinks about how much she prefers the violin's melodies to this hard bass.

Finally, she finds her friend, talking to some other girls. May wears a skin-tight, fully metallic dress with one sleeve. Emery smiles at her, giving the annual happy birthday.

"Emery, my favorite guest in the best outfit." She shakes her head proudly.

"Oh stop, I'm blushing." Emery laughs. She hands May her gift, ready to see the food.

May opens the small case that reveals a ring with a small M engraved on it. May gasps, smiling widely.

"Em! Thank you, this is the best." She rubs her fingers over the jewelry, then places it on her finger. They hug and Emery heads off in the direction of the kitchen.

In the kitchen, there's a multitude of foods to pick from, ranging from fruits to shrimp. Emery eats a strawberry and a couple of grapes. She goes looking for a drink, and finds a whole table of pre-prepared water in cups.

She takes one, swallowing a mouth full. There's a weird taste to it, but Emery doesn't think it's too strong. She finishes the entire solo cup.

Emery continues to stick around, listening to the music and saying hi to a couple people she's either knows or tutored.

Soon, she starts to sway a bit, stepping too far or not at all while she walks. Her blinks seem to slow, finding it hard to even keep her eyes open.

She collapses on the soft couch, passing out for a few seconds, but snapping back when a boy sits beside her. She stares at him, thinking she may know him, but she's not sure.

"Do you wanna go upstairs?" The boy asks, standing up and grabbing her hand.

She still sits, looking up at him confusedly. "Why?" She cocks her head. Emery slowly stands up, almost falling back down. The floor still seats, in her eyes.

"It's a surprise." He smirks, turning around, heading towards the stairs.

"I...hate surprises." She slurs, but continues to walk with him mostly holding her weight up.

"Not this one." He whispers. She nods, not really knowing what she was agreeing to.

They enter a room, empty from other party-goers. He sits her down on the bed, where she almost falls back, but tries to keep her focus on him.

"Does it feel hot in here?" He asks Emery, who's confused but sedated.

"Mmhm..." She nods, trying to tug off the tight cami. She's almost removed it, when Harven busts into the room. For Emery, the scene is in slow motion, and for Harven, he couldn't beat the guy fast enough.

Tate is the next person to enter, and he quickly pulls Harven away, who's breathing heavily. Tate whispers something to him, and Harven looks over to Emery.

Emery's fallen onto the bed, with half her shirt falling off. Harven quickly fixes it and pulls the sleeping girl into his arms. He carries her out of a party for the second time.

He gently buckles her into the seat of his car, softening his eyes at the sight of her. He closes the door, making his way towards her house.

When they arrive, her parents let him in, and he carries her up to her bed. She wakes when he begins to cover her up.

"Harven...?" She mutters. He looks up from the covers to her sleepy face.

"Yes, Emery?" He smiles softly in question.

"What are you doing in here? You're not allowed!" She scrunches up her face the most she can.

He chuckles. "Hey, I gave up on our mutual despise to save you, aren't I allowed now?" He asks.

"I don't know...ask me tomorrow." She blinks tiredly.

"Okay, I will." He grins. Harven's on his way out, when Emery quietly calls him back one last time.

"Yep?" He turns around.

She rubs her eyes. "Thank you for giving up from despising me, I was getting so sick of it." She brings the covers up, and falls into her slumber. He smiles softly.

Harven wants to say so much, but leaves it for a time when she knows what she's talking about. Because if he chooses to believe it now...

Then he's given in.