Day 473

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 21

Angel stirs on the passenger seat and a few seconds later she sits upright.

"Nasaan na tayo?" She asks while rubbing her still sleepy eyes.

"Gumaca,"

She yawns and stretched her body, stiffened from the long drive. I would have done the same except I'm focused on the road. "Malapit na tayo."

"Yeah."

"Okay lang kaya si tito?" Angel mumbled, looking out to the now brightening morning sky.

"We'll know when we get there."

"Pinatay mo ba yung music kanina?" She suddenly asked.

I reached for the console and opened the radio. "Pinatay ko kanina kasi di ko gusto yung music."

Angel adjusted the radio station, looking for something nice to listen to. "Buti di ka inantok?"

"Hindi naman ako inaantok."

That was half a lie because I was mostly occupied by the thought of Fina worried for her father. While it's not the safest practice to do while driving, I was forming impossible situations in my head of Fina calling me for help with her father, that it was her who called my phone last night. At least it distracted me enough from thinking about sleep.

An hour later and we're entering the Lopez town proper. Magsaysay Memorial District Hospital is located at the eastern end of the town, just a couple minutes past a small creek. The entrance to the hospital is the left turn at the forked Maharlika highway.

After I parked the car, Angel and I got out and dashed for the reception only to be greeted by my cousin kuya Rommel and his vice mayor Jorge, who both looked like they were about to leave. Upon seeing me, Jorge's eyes lit up.

"Jellane!" Jorge squealed, reminding me of his rabid fanboy antics during the election campaign.

"Kuya," I ignored the vice mayor and focused on my cousin. "Kumusta si Mr. Romulo?"

"Surgery finished kanina lang. It was a success but he's in a coma to help his brain heal. He's in the ICU." Kuya Rommel replied, looking grim. He then approached me and lowered his voice. "Ang mahal nung procedure. Are you sure you're paying for all of this?"

I frowned at his question. "Money was never a problem for us."

Kuya Rommel stepped away. "I'm just saying you're spending an awful lot of money for..."

He never bothered to continue what he was saying as I was already murdering him in my mind. He probably sensed the hostility in my eyes and backed off.

Angel tugged at my sleeve and I let out a sigh, remembering there are more pressing matters to address.

"Nasaan si tita Nani?" I asked the two executive heads of Lopez.

"Nasa waiting area," Vice mayor Jorge replied. He looked like a puppy that is very eager to help me. If I can gauge his fanaticism I might be able to use him against kuya Rommel if I have to. "Dalhin ko kayo dun?"

"Pasama naman si Angel dun? Kakausapin ko pa si kuya."

"No problem."

Jorge led Angel away to the waiting area and kuya Rommel and I stepped outside of the lobby where we can talk in private.

"Nahuli ba yung driver ng truck?" I asked my cousin in a low voice. Discussing private and possibly sensitive issues in public can be quite risky. If we're overheard and rumors spread, his public approval might be affected.