xl. water spirits

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑭𝑶𝑹𝑻𝒀
❝ 𝒘𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

VERA COULDN'T REMEMBER A TIME WHERE she felt so free

After the noble men of Rohan departed, Vera was quick to claim her steed, choosing a magnificent white horse by the name Arod, before mounting on it. Aragorn, just as swift as Vera, had mounted a beautiful stallion called Hasufel while Corin, Gimli, and Legolas argued upon who would ride with Vera and who would take the last steed; ultimately, Corin forced Vera to let Legolas ride behind her while Corin and Gimli rode together.

Despite the dislike she held for their current situation, Vera conclusively found that she didn't mind being with him. She didn't exactly know how Legolas felt about their predicament and she had every intention of asking him during their journey, but her words got suck in her throat. However, she didn't linger much on the love disposition between her and Legolas, her mind being entirely enveloped with the prospect of Merry and Pippin's rumored death.

With Legolas riding the horse steadily and ensuring that Vera didn't fall, the mermaid was free to do what she wished for a moment. The air blowing past her face, billowing her hair softly, brought Vera contentment, along with the heavy lift off her chest. She could feel the warm sun's rays befall her carefree form, reminding her of the beauty of the sun, knowing that once she returns to the sea, she would be forced to live her life without it once again. Vera, in that moment of freedom and carelessness, looked absolutely radiant.

Nevertheless, reality was forced back into her hands abruptly, pushing her back into the harsher aspects of life and compelling her to open her eyes once again as the horses come to a stop. Vera has seen death, she has seen bloodshed, and she has seen war but when her eyes landed on the burning pile, it brought her more nausea than she expected. Perhaps it was because there was a chance that her own friends are part of the flaming hill of bodies, which would soon decay and turn black.

Vera swallows, eyeing the head on the pike and grimaces slightly at the vile stench arising. Aragorn dismounts his horse, attempting to hide his frantic efforts of observing the land. Vera's hazel eyes raise in alarm as she finds no clue of their survival, only drifting her eyes to the ashen carcasses with disbelief and denial.

Vera wastes no time in dismounting her horse — only appearing to seem like she dragged her body off of the horse pathetically — and rushes forward to inspect the pile of dead bodies with clear detail, using her keen eyes to find their bodies in some way amongst the melting flesh, which proved to be a challenge. Legolas and Corin join her, doing their best to audit the stack of bodies. Gimli swiftly maneuvers through the tall bodies around him and rushes forward with the intention of finding their forms, rummaging through the crisp carcasses.