Chapter Thirty-One

"What are you talking about?" my voice increased to a higher octave. Nanlamig ang buong katawan ko at naramdaman ang pagbabadya ng paninikip ng dibdib.

"So you really don't know." Her evil smile turned bigger. She looked so gratified, like she just received the greatest news ever. "Your boyfriend was involved in that car accident eight years ago—the one that killed your father in the process."

Umuwang ang mga labi ko. My chest was rising and falling fast as my breathing sped up. "You're lying."

"I'm a liar, that's true, but I'm telling the truth this time, sis. I overheard Mom talking about your dearest boyfriend and why she's appalled by him."

I swallowed hard. I shook my head. "That's not true."

"Oh, but it is. You can ask Mom," she snickered. Her face was apathetic. There's no hint of lie in her eyes or face.

I remained still on my spot but the floor felt like it was moving underneath me. Habang tumatagal ay parang nahihirapan akong huminga at umiikot na ang paligid. Napapikit ako.

I heard the violent raindrops pattering on the car roof and the familiar lively song blasting from the radio. My father was beaming at the driver's seat, bopping his head to the beat and tapping his other hand on the steering wheel.

He glanced at me with a wide smile as the singer began to sing.

Sweet pea

Apple of my eye

My head throbbed. My eyes opened and I was brought back to the reality. I only used to dream about it. I always forget after waking up though. I could faintly remember the song playing, like a noise at the background playing from an old VHS tape. It's just the aftermath of our laughter and the loud crackling of thunder.

"It suddenly made sense why someone like Saint is with someone like you. Siguro nagui-guilty siya sa ginawa niya. Napilitan lang siya kasi naawa siya sa 'yo," Bianca added, her words were salt to the reopened wound.

It's like the puzzle pieces were put together. Nabigyan ng liwanag ang lahat ng mga nangyari simula nang makilala ko si Saint. That's why he was always there when I needed help.

Our first official meeting, the rain incident, the time my car broke down, the night that I got harassed by Darin... it all made sense. He was always there... and who knew how long he'd been in the background. Oli mentioned that he always sees Saint whenever we go out. It wasn't a coincidence. He was there for a purpose.

And maybe that's the reason why he took his time with his studies. So he can keep an eye on me—because he feels guilty; 'cos he pitied me.

I remember the first time he was in my house. Suminghap ako. He was staring at the picture frames, particularly the photo that I had with my father. I suddenly remember the things he wrote in the slam book. His greatest regret was getting involved in a car accident... and Oli also said Saint was detained before.

Is that why his parents were so nervous to meet me? Dahil natatakot sila na alam ko ang tungkol sa ginawa ng anak nila? That must be it. Why else would they be nervous?

I can perfectly see the bigger picture now. He didn't intend to be with me. Kaya niya sinubukan lumayo. Kaya pala ganoon na lang ang trato niya sa akin. At siguro, naramdaman niya na nahulog ako sa kanya kaya kahit labag sa loob ay sinalo niya na ako. He even proposed to me after I joked at him about giving me a ring.

All of it... just to make up for what he did. I felt my heart squeeze painfully. It was constricting so bad that it's such a surprise that I'm not yet slipping into a stroke.