Introduction

Italicized = Thoughts

********************************

☆In this chapter, you are 13 years old. You live in the mountains with your family. Your family is rather poor but still able to provide your needs. Your house is small and wooden all around.

Your earliest memory of your life was your family being attacked by a demon.

It was just like any other night. Your mother cooking dinner and your father looking over 3 of your little siblings, Reiko, Yumi, and Ika. Since you were the eldest, you were tasked to gather some firewood to keep your family warm for tonight.

Mother: "Y/n, just be back before nightfall, ok? It gets really dangerous out in the forest at night."

Y/n: "Mom, I've done this multiple times already, I'll be fine," you respond as you start putting on your scarf.

Mother: "Okay, okay. You're just very precious to us, that's all," she says as she holds both of your cheeks and smiles.

As your mother reminds you of how dangerous the forest can be, you approach your father who is telling a story about demons to your younger siblings.

Father: "And so, a demon can only be killed if you behead it with a special blade, a Nichirin Blade."

Reiko: "Wooooooooah!" Your little brother exclaims as he waves his hands in the air.

Yumi: "How do you know all of these things, father?" Your little sister asks as she has a very curious look on her face.

Ika: "Yeah father, how?" Your youngest sister asks as she also has a curious look on her face.

Father: "It's because I was once a Demon Slayer," he says with a big smile on his face.

All 3 of your siblings exclaim to this. Upon hearing this, you weren't surprised at all since you were the only one who saw his uniform and nichirin blade before. Presently, you have no idea where those things are. Actually, your mother even told you that he wasn't even a good demon slayer. She said that your father was only a demon slayer for a year and quickly left the Demon Slayer Corps due to fear and stress.

Father: "You see, it all started when-" he was suddenly interrupted by you, walking into the room.

Y/n: "Dad, I'll be going out to get some firewood tonight."

Father: "Sure! Just be safe that's all."

Reiko: "Nii-chan, tell us if you ever see a demon!" he says as excitement is audible in his voice.

Y/n: "Hahaha, sure thing Reiko," you say while laughing.

Father: "Alright, alright. Your onii-san has to go now."

Reiko, Yumi, and Ika: "Come back quick aniki," they say as they hug you tightly.

Y/n: "I will," you respond as you pet their heads and start walking towards the door.

-Timeskip-

You start packing up all the firewood you had gathered and start heading up the mountain.

Y/n: "I'm a little late, but they'll understand," you thought as you continue walking up the mountain.

While walking, you notice something odd on the trunks of the trees.

Y/n: "What the hell?" You ask yourself as you approach to one of the trees that caught your attention.

Your eyes widen as you see what was on the trees. A bunch of claw marks. The trees led to the path you usually take to get home.