Chapter 73 - Slytherin Cunning

I love Harry but he can be a bit dopey. As always thanks for commenting and voting :)

 Al sat down hesitantly next to Draco, not taking her eyes off Umbridge, who sat at the front. She fished everything out of her bag and sat back in her chair, almost hitting the desk where Daphne and Theo were sat behind them. Umbridge smiled over at their group and Al forced a smile back. Satisfied, Umbridge moved her focus to the Gryffindors streaming in.

 Across the room, Harry sat down next to the Weasel and near Hermione. She watched as Umbridge's eyes narrowed, and then her face relaxed. Al's suspicions had been correct - Umbridge did not like Harry.

 The bell rang and the lesson began. "Good afternoon, class," Umbridge said, falsely sweet tones lacing her voice. There were a few mumbled replies back, Al and her friends among them. This first impression was crucial. "Now that's no good," Umbridge said, "When I say good afternoon, I expect you to say, good afternoon Professor Umbridge."

 "Good afternoon Professor Umbridge," the class chorused, with a few uncertain glances around.

 "Good, now wands away," Umbridge said and the class collectively rolled their eyes as they put them in their bags. Al, well trained from a year with Crouch-Moody, shoved it in her pocket, and she noticed Harry had done the same. "Now please copy the course aims into your notes." There was a silent scratching of quills as they mindlessly copied down what was on the board. Al didn't even bother absorbing the information or thinking, instead watching Umbridge subtly. It looked like another year of self-teaching.

 Umbridge then instructed the class to read the textbook and Al skim read it, not taking a word of it in. There wasn't any point, it wouldn't say anything useful. It seemed a few others had had the same idea, as there wasn't much page turning, and Hermione hadn't even opened her book, instead choosing to sit with her hand raised. Maybe she was more comfy like that?

 "Here we go," Al mumbled to Draco, who looked up and grinned at Hermione. Al doubted that Hermione was going to suck up to Umbridge, which meant she was going to question her. And that was going to be very entertaining.

 When Umbridge could no longer ignore Hermione, she allowed her to ask a question. "There's nothing on the course aims about using defensive spells?" Umbridge said no they wouldn't be using magic. This caused a flurry of complaints and questions from the Gryffindors in the room, and Al actually agreed with them. But she wasn't going to say that in front of Umbridge.

 Then, Umbridge turned to Harry, who had just said something about being prepared. "There is nothing out there. Who would want to attack you?"

 "Oh, I don't know," Harry said sarcastically, "Lord Voldemort?" There were a few gasps around the room and Al took that as her cue. Time to really pull out her Slytherin cunning.

 "Here you go again, Potter!" she spat, "First you start a rumour that I'm dead, and then you start this disgusting lie about You-Know-Who being back!" The room looked at Al in disbelief, particularly Harry, Hermione and the Weasel, who had all seen her at Grimmauld Place all summer.

 "You were there!" Harry said, raising his voice, "How-how can you...?"

 "What is you name?" Umbridge asked her.

 "Al Dursley, Professor," Al replied politely.

 "You don't believe Mr Potter, Miss Dursley?" Umbridge asked.

 "No I don't, Professor," Al said, "He told the world I was dead, and the fact that I'm standing here proves he's a liar."

 "It's not a lie!" Harry protested hotly, "I saw him! I fought him!"

 "Detention, Mr Potter," Umbridge said, "And thank you for your honesty, Miss Dursley. Five points to Slytherin. Now if everyone would turn back to their books-"

 Harry did not back down. Instead he stood up. "So Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord, did he?" There was a collective gasp from the class, and Al closed her eyes and gripped the desk to stop the tears coming. She couldn't...wouldn't talk about Cedric. But the longer she closed her eyes, the more vivid the image of his lifeless face swam before her.

 Al forced her eyes open and stared at the desk underneath her, tears dripping silently onto chapter one. She felt Draco grip her shoulder and rub her back comfortingly. She wiped her eyes quickly, taking a deep breath, before looking up to see Harry walking out the room, throwing a glare her way. Al raised her hand shakily and Umbridge looked up. "Could I have a moment outside, please, Professor?" she asked.

 Umbridge eyed the tears dripping down her face, and smiled in what she must have thought was a kind way, but really she just looked constipated. "Of course, Miss Dursley."

 "Thank you, Professor," Al said before hurrying after Harry. "Harry," she hissed, coming up behind him and wiping her face with her sleeve. He ignored her. "Harry!" she said louder.

 "What do you want?" he snapped.

 "I didn't mean it," she said, a little breathless from running, "I do know he's back."

 Harry frowned at her, "Then why didn't you say?" he said loudly.

 "Because it's Umbridge," Al reminded him, "I'm going to try and be clever with her. See what she's up to."

 "What do you mean?" Harry said, "She's just being-"

 "No she's not," Al said, "She'll want to get rid of Dumbledore."

 "Oh," Harry said, "Right."

 "I'll see you then?" Al asked, turning to head away.

 "Yeah," Harry said, "See you."

*****

 The rest of the week passed smoothly for Al and on Saturday it was time for her duelling club. There was the usual gaggle of first-years wondering what was up with it, along with most of the regulars from last year, including George, who she was glad to see because she'd been very loaded-up with homework the last week, and had spent most of it in the library or common room.

 Everyone - save the first years - performed exceptionally well, and she managed to promote at least half of them to the Tuesday night advanced group. On Sunday, Al spent most of the time out in the grounds with George, far away from the castle so they couldn't be seen, while she explained her plan with Umbridge.

 "So," George said, while they lazed under a tree by the lake in the dying summer sun, "You're not breaking up with me, but you want to see me in secret."

 "Yep," Al said.

 "And why is that?" George said with a grin, "Embarrassed to be seen with me in front of your new best bud?"

 Al hit him playfully on the arm, "Shut up." Then she paused for a bit, looking across at the lake. "And it'll feel like we're breaking the rules. You enjoy that, no?"

 George sighed and then rolled over so his face was above Al's. "I suppose..." he said, before swooping down to kiss her.