Chapter 14: Four for Four: Four Cubed

"Your date's here!" Dad hollered.

I smoothed out my dress and descended down the stairs, mentally preparing myself for the gorgeousness that is Alec. His jaw was slightly ajar, but then again, so was mine. Dad cleared his throat, causing our eyes to meet. I guess we were both too busy checking each other out.

"All right kids. Stand together for pictures. Yeah, right on the stairway. I like the wallpaper." I forced a smile, while Alec has his easy grin on. My homecoming pictures were going to rock this year. The only downside was that Alec was going to look better than me. Boo. "Keep your hands north of the equator, mister! Okay, that's a little too far up. Good, perfect. Don't let them stray! Charlotte, could you not smile like a donkey?" Dad! "That's better."

Was this how all parents acted on these kinds of things, or was it just my Dad? I hoped it was all parents because he was embarrassing me in front of Alec, although Alec didn't seem surprised by it. If he did, he didn't show it.

After posing for many pictures, Alec suggested that he could sign a few things. Dad jumped on that immediately, shoving item and paper after paper so he could autograph them. I'm sure Alec felt like a celebrity.

I told Dad that if we were going to eat dinner and be on time for the dance, that we needed to leave now. He grumbled and reluctantly let us go. Alec never did tell me what his plans were. I felt like everytime I was hanging out with Alec, we were eating. I felt like a fattie.

"We're going to that Chinese restaurant. You don't hate Chinese, do you?" Alec asked, suddenly looking very scared.

I smiled. "I like Chinese."

He let out a breath of relief. "Thank goodness."

By the time we were done, my belly was sore from all the laughing I did. I was 100% sure that Alec didn't know, and will never know, how to use chopsticks properly. No matter how hard he tried, the noodles and clumps of chicken would end up slipping out of his grasp. He bitterly stabbed the chicken and slurped up the chow mein. I felt sorry for him and would sometimes feed him.

Luckily, the weather was suitable, unlike last year. Alec parked his car, and told me to sit there until he ran around and opened the door for me. He was a stickler for being a gentleman. "Seriously Alec, you don't have to do this. I can walk."

"My number one girl deserves to be carried."

I giggled. Number one girl. I liked hearing that. "Just make sure my dress doesn't ride up. I don't want anyone getting a peek of what's underneath."

"Is it just for me?"

I slapped his face gently. "Nope, it's for me. Just me."

"Killjoy."

Alec signed us in and we entered the school, which was a complete transformation from the bland cafeteria to a kind of hip dance floor. The lights were dimmed, except out in the hallway where the food and tables were. Lots of people were already dancing to Call Me Maybe. The dancing wasn't that creative-they were all basically doing the same thing. Bouncing, handing a fake number to someone, and pretending their hand was a phone.

I spotted Emma and ran over to her, spitting out compliments. She was wearing a black and gold dress, where the neck was kind of a see-through material. It accentuated her curves, and she just looked stunning overall. "Wow, you like amazing!"

She blushed. "Thanks! I knew that dress would look good on you."

"You're a lifesaver."

I saw Beckett stroll over and loop his arm with Emma's. I see they went together. I looked at Beckett, my eyes asking if he told her yet. Beckett shook his head slightly. "No, you're a lifesaver," Emma grinned. "Now if you'll excuse us, we're going to go dancing. A slow song finally came on."