Chapter 15 - Ipokriti

Three hours later, I'm back through the front door, shoes in hand, hair disheveled and a poorly disguised walk of shame. The last thing I expect to see is Jeremy and Millie in the living room watching reruns of Ipokriti, yet there they are.

Jeremy drags his attention away from the screen and his blue eyes widen in alarm as he takes me in. I see the struggle inside him as he tries to hide his displeasure. I groan and fall back against the door hanging my head, letting my hair fall in front of my face and hiding behind it.

"Why are you still here?"

When he doesn't answer, I peer at him from behind my veil of hair. Jeremy's expression is taut and I see his hurt as he turns back to the soap opera without a word.

"What happened, honey?" Millie asks concerned.

"I broke up with Shaun," I announce, dropping my shoes and clutch and staggering towards them.

They scoot over to make room for me and I squeeze myself between them, resting my head on Nanna's ever-hospitable shoulder.

"You did?" she says ruefully, reaching up to stroke my hair. "Why?"

I contemplate the TV and realise that I remember this episode. Nancy, the evil maid who works for Xander and his rich family, is contemplating the crippled uncle from her hiding place. She's concocting a plan to get rid of him once and for all.

"He said... He thinks... ugh!" I groan. "Shaun said he loves me."

I feel like I'm in a soap opera myself. No matter what I do to avoid drama, I always seem to end up right in the middle of it. I'm just like Norma, young, naïve and always in the crux of some tragic relationship. But that's the thing. I don't want to be in the crux of anything anymore. It was a bet! How the hell did he end up catching feelings?

"Oh, sweetheart," Millie says as she continues to stroke my hair.

I turn to Jeremy wondering if he's still upset at my remark, but to my surprise, there is a definite grin plastered on his face.

"What are you smiling about?" I ask warily.

"Nothing," he replies, his smirk growing unbelievably bigger.

My temper stirs. "I may not understand Maltese very well, but I know this is not a funny episode. Nancy is about to push Rafel into the pool. So, while I'm honoured to be the source of your amusement, I would be very much obliged if you could fill me in on why you have that stupid grin on your face."

Millie's hand freezes in place.

"I am not laughing at you," he states defensively, struggling to keep a straight face.

I sit up and look at him threateningly. He holds my gaze for half a second before he caves.

"Okay, I am," he admits and I roll my eyes. "I told you from the start he's an amateur. Why would he say something like that after three weeks? And to you, of all people!"

I feel the muscles around my jaw tighten. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"I'm just saying that if he thinks you're the kind of person who falls in love with some guy after just three weeks, he can't be very bright."

"Oh, because the girls you date are sharp as a tack!" I snap back even though I'm not sure why I'm contradicting him.

"Of course, they're not. I choose my women very carefully. I have a formula. Two-thirds looks, one-third brains and an unfortunate need to prove themselves. Throw in some daddy issues and you've got yourself the perfect combo."