Chapter 34

I don't know how long I've been sitting here, but I just can't stop crying. I didn't want to let people think I'm weak, but now Dean won't let me hear the end of it. I never expected Liam to say what he did, and I'm not sure I'll ever forgive him either.

I decide I don't want to stay in the compound because I know someone will see me here sooner or later tonight. I get up and stretch a little, my back hurting from sitting on rocks for so long. My eyes are still puffy and red from crying, and they feel dry now. I open the door and walk quickly along the hallways. I keep my head down so no one sees me. It's 11:00 by now, and the earliest people sleep is 12:00 so I have to try my hardest to avoid people. I walk a good distance without someone stopping me, but then I feel someone grab my arm and stop me.

"Hey," Jake says softly

"Hi," I say looking down. I don't want him to see what I look like when I cry.

"Rose. It's ok. I'm not gonna judge you, you know. I love you" Jake says

"I know," I say, still continuing to look down "I love you too"

"Come here," Jake says, pulling me into a hug. I wrap my arms around his waist and we hold each other for a minute before letting go.

"We're ok, you know. No matter what happens. We're always gonna be ok" Jake says

"I know that," I say. He kisses my head and I say "I just wanna get out for right now. I don't wanna risk seeing Liam."

"Ok, where are you gonna go?" Jake asks

"Probably gonna jump on a train or something." I say

"Ok. Want me to come with you?" He asks

"Sorry Jake, but I need to show her something," Tobias says coming up from behind me. He hugs me around the shoulders and says "Guess I always am everywhere" while smiling

"Maybe it's not such a bad thing after all," I say, hoping he won't hear me. He laughs a little and hugs me tighter, till I feel like I can't even breathe anymore.

"Ok, come on I need to show you something. Or someone I guess" Tobias says

"Ok then," I say "bye, love you," I say giving Jake a quick kiss on the cheek

"Love you too," Jake says

"Nice seeing you Jack," Tobias says, starting to walk away

"It's Jake" Jake smiles

"Right. And I'm Five" Tobias says

I laugh a little and follow Tobias, waving at Jake. They always know how to make me feel better.

We walk out the compound and Tobias says "We're gonna jump on the train"

"What I was planning to do anyway," I say

He smiles and we break out into a run to get to the platform. I realize when I get there, I don't feel as tired as I used to. Tobias looks at his watch and says that it's time. The train then comes and Tobias jumps into a car, and I follow in behind him.

Inside people are on both sides of the car. All wearing different colors. A red shirt, and blue jeans with a gray robe. All Factionless. Why would he bring me here?

"Oh, looks like Dauntless are on their fun spree," A factionless man says

"Tobias and Rose Eaton," Tobias says

"What did you say?" The man says

"You heard me." Tobias says "And I'm guessing you know who wants to see us. Don't you?"