Chapter 4

The tip of a black pen glided across the margin of my Econ notebook as I drew doodles to the monotonous sound of my professor's voice

At first, I tried to pay attention to his lectures. It took me five of those to realize I wouldn't pass the subject easily.

The uni I'd transferred to was one of the best in the country. Unfortunately, starting over was never easy. Everything was way harder here - the treatment our professors gave us was too impersonal, and the way they taught the syllabus to us felt too rushed at times. They assumed we knew things and didn't want to spend too much time explaining what they thought was obvious.

For the first time, I found myself struggling with my studies. Deep down, I knew that the situation with Paul was to blame for my inability to focus and my lack of motivation. I needed to pull myself together and do something before it was too late, but it was easier said than done, especially because I found myself making all sorts of impulsive decisions instead.

Asking Liam, Aiden's friend, to move in with me on the first day I met him was probably the craziest of them all.

I needed money to pay for my expensive apartment, that was true. My parents wouldn't be able to give me more, and the photography gigs I managed to get were few. Making a name for myself in a new city took time, and that was the only thing I didn't have when my bank account already had a massive dent in it, and my parents thought I was in the south of France. Oblivious to the changes in my life, they transferred money to my bank account each month. Now, it wasn't enough.

Glancing at my watch, I let out a relieved sigh. I would be free in five minutes. Then, I would see Liam.

There was something special about him, apart from the fact that he was raising his little brother on his own.

Liam seemed quiet and reserved. Unlike Paul, he listened way more than he talked. Judging by the little I saw, he was affectionate with his brother, who clearly adored him.

The commotion around me signaled the end of the lecture. I shoved my notebook and pens into my purse and made my way out of the lecture hall.

Liam and I agreed to meet in a small pâtisserie close to my university.
Wrapping my jacket around me tighter to protect myself from the cold wind, I crossed the street and rushed toward the cafe.

It was still early when I took a seat at a round table in the corner and smoothed out my blond hair, hoping I didn't look like a mess after the morning full of boring lectures.

Letting my eyes soak in the beautiful decor of the place that was all pastel colors and white furniture, I ordered myself to relax.

In the worst of cases, I would be forced to look for someone else to share the apartment with, but if Liam meant what he said, my money problems would be solved.

The sound of the door creaking open made me direct my gaze toward the entrance.

I barely recognized the guy who walked into the cafe. In a white button-down and dark gray slacks, Liam looked different.