Episode 82

~ Days Later ~

Nick rushes over to Dani who is standing at her locker and wraps his arms around her waist, swinging her around. She laughs and wraps her arms around his neck. “What are you so happy about?”

He sets her back down on the ground and stands in front of her with a large smile while holding both of her hands. “It’s Christmas break! Finally! Who wouldn’t be happy about getting a break from this child prison?”

She snickers and gives a small nod. Christmas was her favorite holiday but there was a secret living inside of her that just wouldn’t allow her to feel the joy she always seemed to feel this time of year. 

He moves her hands back and forth as excitement builds on his face. “So...I was thinking...you should come with me to my dad's cabin this weekend. We go there every year but he's not going to be able to go because of his new 'girlfriend' and I think it will be really fun.” 

She laughs at his lame attempt to sneak her away for break. “Nice try, 'Slick' but there’s no way my dad would let me and besides….we’re going away for the Holidays. My dad and I have family up North and it's really important for him to be with the Fam during the Holidays.” She shrugs with a small smile.

His excitement fades as she gives a small, “I’m sorry.”

“How long are you going to be gone?” He asks.

“Three weeks.”

His eyes widen. “The whole break?!”

She shrugs with a small apologetic smile. “Sorry...it's tradition.”

He sighs in disappointment but shows a small smile for her sake. “Alright, just promise me you won't make nice with any ski instructors while you're gone?” He smirks before wrapping his arm around her shoulders and walking with her down the hall.

She shrugs and looks up at him, attempting to copy his famous devious smirk. a devious. “I can't make any promises.”

~~~

Scarlett is one of the first one’s walks out of the school after the last bell. She holds her books closely to her chest and breathes in the cold air, thankful for the much needed break ahead. She begins walking down the steps of the school towards the parking lot when she hears someone shouting her name from behind. She ignores the voice and continues walking.

Jake shouts her name one last time and runs up to her, standing in front of her to block her path. 

She tries to move past him. “I don't want to talk to you, Jake.” 

“Then just listen…please.” He follows after her.

“No!” She continues walking while yelling over the cold wind now whistling through the trees above. “There is nothing you can say that will make this better, Jake! You've ruined everything and there's no going back. We're through.”

He abruptly grabs her arm, feeling he has no other choice. He quickly turns her around to face him as she cringes and tries to yank her arm out of his grasp.

“Let me go!” She screams and feels a presence step between them as the person lifts his fist, instantly connecting it forward into Jake’s jaw.

Jake takes a few steps back from the impact as a look of pure shock takes over his face. He looks up at Logan and wipes the blood dripping from his mouth as Logan glares at him fiercely before turning back to Scarlett and motioning for her to follow him.

Jake swallows the regret rising in his stomach and watches as she walks off with Logan.

Scarlett follows close behind Logan and stops once they get far enough away from the school. She swallows the nerves rising in her throat and speaks quietly. “Did you really have to punch him so hard?”

“Sorry, I wasn't in a merciful mood.” He speaks bitterly before turning to face Selena.

She sees the similar look of exhaustion filling his eyes and suddenly feels a large amount of sympathy for him. The look on his face is similar to that of a child waking up on Christmas morning to find a nothing but tile beneath the tree. She stares at him a moment before speaking softly in the cold wind. “She left.”

~~~

Dani steps out of the school and sees Joe leaned up against the railing. She walks over to him with a small smile. “Hey.”

He stops kicking the gravel around his feet and quickly looks up at Dani, giving her a large smile. “Hey.”

“So…ready for Christmas?” She speaks slowly, trying to find the right words to make all of this less awkward. 

“Uh...always!” He speaks excitedly with a small, giddy laugh much like a child's. 

She nods with a laugh before glancing at the ground. Joe loved Christmas just as much as she did but Christmas felt different this year and she was worried she had ruined it for him as well.

“So, what are you doing this year? Same rockin Christmas Eve part as every year…do you think I could still be invited?” He smiles shyly, anticipating a harsh rejection. 

She swallows the lump in her throat before glancing at the ground then back at him with a forced smile. “Actually…I’m going up north for the holidays.” That was her lie and she was sticking to it but Joe knew her better than Nick and she was afraid he would be able to see right through her, right down to the terrified feeling running through every inch of her body.

He gives her a look of confusion. “Up north? What’s up north?”

“Family.” Damn. She knew that was a bad excuse from the moment it left her lips.

He continues looking at her with confusion. “I’ve never heard you mention family up north?”

She continues smiling and shrugs, being very vague about the whole thing. 

He looks at her intently, getting the sense that there was something she wasn’t telling him. “Dani is there something-“ 

She quick interrupts him, holding tightly to her fake smile. “I’ll see you in a couple weeks, okay?” 

He can sense something’s not right and the feeling that takes over his body is complete terror. He’s not sure what or why but he knows something is very wrong.

She steps forward and wraps her arms around him tightly, taking in the smell of his familiar cologne. “Merry Christmas, Joseph.” She whispers softly into his ear before pulling away and walking off.

He stares after her and whispers into the cold wind. “Merry Christmas, Danielle.”

~ End of Season 2 ~

I will continue with season 3 asap but I would REALLY like some feedback on this story so PLEASE leave any comments you may have below so I know I have readers and people who actually like the story so I can continue! xD

Thank you so much!!