LIII

King Rasmus' warning replayed in my head on a continuous and torturous loop

King Rasmus' warning replayed in my head on a continuous and torturous loop. It was a specific timeframe, which meant they were planning something big. Every part of my being wanted to go back out there and find out what they were going to do, but I knew my time outside was done. I needed to be the queen.

With that thought, I walked to the normally unused palace wing where all my new guests were staying. I appreciated the intricate design of it as I turned about the hallways. The ceilings were high, extending towards the sky. Pillars lined the halls, all made out of marble. The centered carpets were the traditional Flamber purple, along with the drapes hanging from each pillar. Every few feet, there was a wooden decorative table with a centered white vase filled with white magnolias. It was all so regal and up to royal standards.

I could only hope the guests appreciated it.

There was barely any movement as I stood at the far end of the wing. I had the view of every hallway. There were about a couple hundred bedrooms that were now up to capacity. Many people were saved from the massive attack. I just wasn't sure they'd survive the next one.

A part of me wanted to snap my fingers and open all doors, but I was afraid some might not be modest and would be exposed to others. The best approach to get their attention was by sending them a note through the brume to meet me outside of their bedrooms for a special message. I wasn't sure if they'd listen, but I hoped they would.

I interlaced my fingers together, staring at the purple carpet under my feet. I kicked my heels out of the long skirt of the silver dress to see the black laces run up my leg. It created a stark contrast to my soft hued dress.

A weird, warm feeling settled into my stomach. I was home, dressed in my normal attire for the first time in forever, and it all felt so surreal. I wondered how much of everything was real life. I pondered if I was dreaming, but, unfortunately, staring out into the halls, I knew deep inside that it was all real. We were facing a terrible war, I was back in the palace, about to announce our two days left before another terrible attack. 

No pressure.

Doors started opening, and I folded my hands in front of my lap, softly grazing my dress every so often. People lined up staring over at me. Some were confused, while others gazed with a glint of fear. I dropped my eyes realizing they were afraid of me. I couldn't blame them.

When every door was opened, from what I could see, I took a step forward. Many of them flinched. I tried hard not to mind, but that hurt more than the war itself.

"I have spoken with King Rasmus," I announced. There was a stillness that snaked all over the halls. It brought goosebumps down my arms. "He warned us that we had two days before they attempted a larger attack."

They began muttering to themselves. They complained, they cried, they trembled in fear of the unknown.

I didn't know how they wanted to attack once more, but if they managed to have a magic-infused bomb, then they probably had worse weapons at their disposal. I'm sure they were all graciously donated by Validus Fulgur, the experts at anything war-related.

"I do not know what they are planning, but I know their true goal is to acquire the Inlustris." I raised my head, once they started arguing about how they couldn't do that. Hope swelled inside my chest. "Rest assured that I will do anything to protect the Inlustris and all of you."

Some seemed to settle into the comfort that I was there for them and not the other way around. I wouldn't hurt them, I would protect them. Even though I was a dark magic wielder, I was on their side, so they could be in peace with that.

"Your Majesty, since when have you been a dark magic wielder?" Someone asked from the crowd.

Everyone shifted uncomfortably, even I felt odd being in that position. I didn't know how to respond. Truthfully, I didn't know if I should respond at all. Some things were better left unsaid.

"In these trivial times, I believe we should focus on the enemy rather than my magic," I pointed out. No one dared say a word after that. "Supper will be served in the ballroom three hours from now. Please make it. If you need anything, do not hesitate to contact my royal servants. Thank you."

I turned to leave, dismissing them from the impromptu meeting.

"Your Majesty, if I may..." Someone called out. I looked up to see Gaia walking down the hall, the Bleeders on her heels. Even Orion was up and about, which I was glad for.

They tried to stop Gaia, but she was adamant to get to the front.

"Yes, Gaia?" I asked once she stopped in front of me. Her azure eyes widened as she realized she was being scrutinized by my entire people.

"Magic. It isn't a polarity like everyone has you believe." Her wild eyes searched mine. "So much of our history is buried. There's more that we don't know. The history we know today is a fictionalized work we were told to believe."

My brows furrowed at her words. The Bleeders made it to the front. Herc placed an arm on her shoulder. He gazed at me, but quickly turned away.

I made eye contact with Marisole. She gave me a small smile, so I knew, despite the strain between the rest of the gang and I, we were fine. She always knew my secret, and she stood beside me regardless.

Orion and Jax stood the farthest. They didn't dare look at me. Kora eagerly stared at me up and down as her body trembled. I continued searching, but I realized Adonis wasn't there anymore.

He was gone.

"Have you ever wondered why royals and maiors never mingled together?" Gaia continued, bringing me back to reality. "The truth is buried. You must uncover it." Her voice became hushed, so no other Flamber could hear. Although they tried their hardest to make up what she was saying.

Typical Flamber behavior. Always intrigued about everything that wasn't their own life. They were funny that way.

"We will talk more about this over supper." I nodded down at her. Due to my heels, my height swallowed hers.

She casted down her eyes. Her blonde hair glistened in the light of the silver detailing of my crown.

"Everyone remain calm," I called out to the Flambers murmuring amongst each other. "Those are your queen's orders."

People started going inside their respective bedrooms, but were hesitant. They were afraid. Probably confused about how I was in a position of power for my magic. Terrified of the future. Nothing was certain. Every minute we breathed was another minute without the power to fight back.

"I suggest you go back to your bedroom," I told the Bleeders. "We will speak privately later." Gaia nodded, but that didn't stop her from fidgeting. I turned to leave, but stopped to watch them leave for their room.

Herc looked back to catch me staring. Those brown eyes almost disintegrated me on the spot. I knew he was angry at me, and I couldn't blame him. After everything, I was a liar. I had tricked them, and it cost them a member.

Tears welled up in my eyes, so I decided it was best to leave them. I had other things to worry about, and grieving about Adonis was going to stop me from the real threat.

Grieving Orpheus was going to stop me from everything too.

I had way too many deaths circling my brain, it was hard to focus on anything. But I needed to get my act together. The Flambers counted on me, even though they were afraid of me, they were trusting me to keep them safe. I had to put everything aside, for now, and focus on the task at hand.

Those kings gave us a war, but I was going to give them the surprise of a lifetime.

It was about time they realized what the consequences of playing with fire were: they'd get severely burnt.