chapter 44

»»————- song: ————-««

that's christmas to me

by pentatonix 

 i see the children play outside, 
like angels in the snow

while mom and daddy share a kiss 
under the mistletoe

and we'll cherish all these simple things,
wherever we may be

oh, why? 

'cause that's christmas to me.

♢ ♢ ♢

As the Christmas season approached, Draco seemed to have decided that it would be far too un-festive not to have Harry around, and stopped being quite so stubborn about Harry's friendship with Ron. The cold winter was fast approaching, but Draco's cold shoulder thawed considerably quicker.

The uproar from Sirius Black's break in on Halloween night had died down somewhat. It confused many, including Harry, for wasn't it common knowledge that Black was after Harry Potter? Instead, he had broken into Gryffindor. Had he assumed that Harry was there, since his parents were Gryffindors?

But it was hard to dwell on that when the school twinkled with festive lights, faint carols from an unknown location always echoing through the corridors, Christmas shopping on everyone's minds. Harry himself was planning to go to Hogsmeade, although he probably would have to owl-order presents for Draco since he couldn't see any way he could buy them with Draco right next to him like he always was on Hogsmeade weekends.

"Harry!" Draco dashed past Harry, who was comfortably reading Quidditch Through the Ages by the warm fire (he was planning on getting a copy for Ron as a Christmas gift, since he didn't have much money to buy his own). "Harry, get your cloak on! Snowball fight on the grounds."

Harry looked at the fire longingly; Flint had kept them outside for Quidditch practice through the snowfall, and his toes had only just regained their feeling. But Draco was hopping so impatiently at the common room entrance that Harry could only sigh, put his book aside, and grab some warm things from his trunk before running after his friend.

"Ha! Take that!" Harry yelled as a snowball implanted itself into Draco's face. 

"Good one, Harry!" Pansy said approvingly. "Blaise! We need back-up!"

"On it," Blaise said from behind his wall of snow with a "Wingardium Leviosa," floating the perfectly molded snowballs over to Harry and Pansy's fort. Pansy snatched one out of the air and hurled it at Millicent, who was running over to Draco's fort and ducked out of the way just in time. Miles Bletchley took his revenge, but Pansy blocked it with a well-timed Protego.

"Oi!" Draco yelled. "Take this!" 

Harry dove out of the way. "Fix your aim, or you'll never be Chaser for Slytherin!"

"Oh, yeah?" Draco waved his wand, and at least ten snowballs shot over his fort, pelting Pansy and Harry. 

"Why, you cheater—" Pansy spluttered, wiping the snow from her eyes, hair caked with it.

"Says the one who cheated on Lupin's pop quiz the other day!" Millicent laughed.

"I did not cheat!" Pansy yelled, standing up to stomp her feet. A snowball promptly hit her in the face again, followed by a cackle by Draco.