Chapter Eight

Get up.

"I don't wanna."

You have to.

"No."

Your friends will worry.

"Fuck my friends."

You don't mean that.

"Yes I do," Clyde argued with himself. Get up, ya lazy ass, He thought to himself once again. He sighed, agreed with his mind, and lazily sat up. He stayed seated on the edge of his bed for some time, working up the courage to get up and go. He looked over to where a clock was set on his bedside table and read the time: 7:24, I can still catch the bus if I hurry.

He hopped out of bed and walked to the bathroom, where he did his business and brushed his teeth. He then hurried down the stairs and into the mudroom, avoiding his father making breakfast in the kitchen. He put on his shoes and slipped into his letterman jacket before leaving the house. He made it to the bus stop in record time, where the rest of the gang was waiting. He stood next to Craig and leaned his hands on his knees, panting.

"Clyde, you actually made it in time for the bus!" Token said, a bit surprised.

"I ran.... so... mother fucking fast," Clyde said in between breaths.

"And you got here just in time," Craig said, pointing out the bus pulling up. "Bus just got here."

"Oh, thank God," Clyde breathed as he boarded the bus and sat down. He closed his eyes and leaned back on the seat, finally able to catch his breath as Token sat next to him.

"So, how was your weekend?" Token asked.

"It was alright, I guess," Clyde answered. "But Phil (Phil is now the baby's name btw, thanks @Kaylaquake) wouldn't stop fucking screaming all night; he kept the house up and I barely slept."

"Tough," Token simply said in response.

Clyde nodded in agreement and turned back towards the window. He watched the trees and passing cars go by and smiled softly. Something about the view was mesmerizing; he couldn't take his eyes off. But soon enough his state of peace came to an end, as do all things, when the bus arrived at the school.

He waited for the bus to come to a complete stop before standing and lifting his bag from underneath the seat. He followed Craig into the building, the rest of the gang trailing behind. The five of them all went to their usual meeting spot before classes: Clyde's locker. Clyde leaned against it with the other four just sort of standing around.

"I fucking hate science," Clyde broke the silence. The others turned to him and hummed their agreements.

"Same," Token said. "Speaking of which, Mr. Galambos said we'd get detention if we were tardy again, so we should probably get going. C'mon, Clyde."

"Oh yeah, that's right," Clyde murmured. He looked over his shoulder as they walked off and did a little wave to the others. The two entered the near-empty classroom and sat down in a pair of seats next to each other, just as usual. The teacher paid no mind to any students coming in, he simply stared at his computer screen. Clyde realized that the teacher seemed to be lost in thought, so he decided then would be an okay time to talk.

He turned to Token and tapped his shoulder, getting the other boys' attention. "Hey, Token, do you remember what we did last class?"

Token thought for a moment, then nodded. "Yeah, we were taking notes."

"Oh... That's right. And what was it that we were taking notes of?"

Token sighed and rolled his eyes. "Clyde, do you need to copy my notes?"