Chapter 13: Sam the Man

"What's up buttercup." I hear the familiar voice behind me.

I roll my eyes and look up at the blonde headed boy. "Why do you insist on bothering me everyday?" I groan and take my headphones out. "Because you're carrying my god child." I laugh out loud at him, "God child? Colby doesn't want shit to do with me and his baby, you shouldn't either."

"I don't care what Colby wants or doesn't want, I care about you, Amara." Sam pulls his chair out and sits beside me. I glance across the library at Colby. He's with some girl.

"So how'd your appointment go?" He asks and grabs one of my grapes. I furrow my eyebrows and pull my food closer to me, "How did you even know- oh. Madeline." I roll my eyes and look down at my snack.

"Of course, she gives me all the updates. So how'd it go?"

"It went pretty good. I'm not dying and the kid isn't dying so that's great." I say sarcastically.

"Seriously, how did it go?" He presses his lips together. I see him glance at Colby, who's eyes were stuck to us, even with the girl talking to him.

"You came over here for him didn't you?" I roll my eyes, grabbing my book bag.

"Amara, hey," Sam says, grabbing my arm to stop me from leaving.

I see Colby look at us and I move away slightly. "Sorry, I didn't mean to grab you like that." He says apologetically.

"It's okay." I mutter. My eyes stay locked on Colby for a moment. "Actually, I'll just give him an update myself." Sam's eyes widen as he tries to stop me again.

I strut over to Colby, tapping on the girls shoulder. "Leave." I tell her. She looks at me and laughs. "Says who?" She asks.

"Says me. Now get the fuck away from here before you lose a fake nail trying to pry my fist from your face." I snap. "Leave." I smile at her, setting my bag down on the table. She scuffs and grabs her things, walking away from Colby.

"What the fuck?" He says, throwing his arms up as he gets up from his chair.

"Congratulations, it's a baby boy." I tell him harshly. I pick my bag up again, throwing it over my shoulder as I push through him and Sam.

I have to admit it hurts seeing him with other girls, not because I have feelings but because he has a child. He cares more about sex and partying than his own son. It's hard to know that you literally are unwanted by someone that is such a huge part of your life now.

"Amara stop!" Sam yells down the hallway. I continue to walk, but he catches up to me quickly.

"What?" I yell.

"He's scared." Sam says quietly.

I laugh a little, "He's scared," I raise my eyebrows. "He's scared? I'm scared, Sam! He gets the easy way out! He gets to walk away! I'm stuck. I'm stuck as the nobody who got pregnant by a somebody! I'm stuck in this body. I'm stuck raising a kid. I'm stuck with a life full of regrets and sadness. Want to know why? Because I'm 17 and fucking pregnant." I yell as tears start to come out my eyes.

"No, the boy who's afraid to love." I look at Sams face as it turns to sorrow. There's something about his expression that makes me wonder what Colby's pass is. Somethings off about the way he responded.

"He's scared for you and," he glances down, "and he's scared for your baby. It's not about him anymore, and he knows that."

"Then why can't he help me? Why can't he be there for me? If he's so afraid of what will happen to us, why won't he make sure we're okay? He's manipulative, Sam. I know you're his friend or whatever, but I've seen the bad side of him already. I don't want to know how much worse it can get than that." I wipe my face and turn around, walking away from him, as far away as I can get.

***

"Hey, do you want to maybe go get some food after school? I wanted to try out that small restaurant that's by Walmart." John asks as we walk down the hallway, heading to the student parking lot.

I smile and nod, "I'm starving." I laugh. I need to keep my mind off of what happened earlier today.

We eventually make our way to the restaurant, one of my favorites in town. We decide to sit outside as it was really nice weather out.

"I'm really happy I met you. I was so scared of not finding friends." John laughs as he eats his hamburger.

"Why wouldn't I want to be your friend? We connected instantly." I laugh.

"Well, my last school I was kind of a loner. I didn't fit in with anybody. I still don't." He shrugs.

"I don't either. I have Maddie and that's about it."

"I don't see how you don't have more friends." He laughs.

"Because I'm antisocial and an introvert." I tell him as I play with my fries.

We finish our food and start to leave. "I'll text you later." John tells me as he gets in his car. I nod my head and get in my own, then go home.

I lay in my bed watching YouTube videos trying to pass the time. I prefer to stay to myself when I'm home. Just being in the same house as my dad is painful, let alone being in the same room with him.

I hear a knock on my door, "Come in." I yell.

The door opens, revealing Sam. "Why are you here?" I ask in confusion, annoyed by his presence.

He puts his hands in his pockets, "Because someone wanted to talk to you." He moves and Colby walks from behind him. I lean up and roll my eyes. "Just text me when you're done." Sam says. He shuts my door and leaves me and Colby.

He sits on the end of my bed, staring at me. I okay with my hands as I wait for him to speak.

"So it's a boy?" He asks. I nod my head and look down, I can already feel the tears whelping in my eyes. "How did you even know where I lived?"

"Sam asked your friend. I just wanted to talk." He moves closer to me.

"And my dad let you in? After what you did to me?" I laugh.

"Your mom did. I see you got your cast off." He points to my arm.

"Yeah, I got it off earlier this week." I tell him quietly.

We sit in silence for a few moments. He makes me nervous when he's around. He keeps me wondering what's going to happen. After telling me that he didn't want to be a part of the baby's life, I kind of just gave up on any hope of us coming to terms. He's a father and he's 17, I understand why he may be hesitant to take the responsibility.

"I'm sorry, Amara." He whispers. My eyes meet his. I can hear the nervousness in his voice and see the sadness in his eyes.

"You have a choice, Colby. I can't change your mind." I shrug my shoulder.

He pressed his lips together and puts his hand on my knees, slightly rubbing it. "I shouldn't have pushed you away. I was being dumb and irresponsible. I want to be a dad. I know what it's like growing up without one, I don't want my son to go through the same thing I did." I try to read Colby's eyes, I can see that he's being truthful. "Promise me you won't leave when it gets rough. I don't want my hopes to be brought up again." He nods his head.

"When are you ready to tell people? Like should we wait longer or should we go ahead and do it?"

"Are you ready to give up popularity and side chicks?" I laugh.

He rolls his eyes and smirks, "I'll give up everything to be able to be proud of my son."