15- Losing It

PRESENT DAY

PRESENT DAY

IT WAS STILL WEIRD. Being around Dick, it was odd. Veronica wanted so desperately to say something to him, anything to him, tell him how sorry she was and how much he had hurt her too. Tell him how she felt, how she still cared from him, and that scared her more than she would dare admit. How seeing him again, all those repressed memories came back up, urging her to throw herself into his arms like she once did, his presence comforting and warm yet cold and hostile all at once.

But she couldn't, and it stung how that was the reality she lived in now.

She sat quietly in Fox's car, the tires driving over gravel and the sounds of one of Taylor Swifts hits playing from the radio the only audible noises other than the pair's occasional shifting and intakes of breath.

They trailed behind Dick and Kory, following them to wherever Dick was going. Most likely a police station, it only seemed most plausible. How else would they find out if there was any reports of a black and purple haired teenage girl wandering around somewhere?

Fox reached over then, and turned up the volume on the stereo. Then, he started singing along loudly and off-key, Veronica turning to look at her partner. She couldn't help the roaring laughter that left her lips at his boisterous antics.

"I shake it off, I shake it off!" Fox sang, tapping his hands against the wheel in time to the song. Veronica only kept laughing, a chortle leaving her lips.

"Fox! What are you doing?" She managed between giggles, and the man turned to look at her for a second.

"I'm singing, what else?" The girl raised an eyebrow, her laughs dying down as the song came to a close. Fox reached over and turned down the volume, sighing as his hand came back to rest on his knee. "So, where do you think Detective Gadget is taking us?"

"It's Grayson, and if anything, a police station. But, my guess is as good as any. It's Dick, he's pretty unpredictable at times."

"I'm assuming that pun was not intended?" Fox snickered, the girl just sending him a glare.

"No, it wasn't intended." She sighed at his joke, staring ahead as a town came into view.

"Gotcha," He grinned, placing his other hand on the wheel. They drove for about another five minutes, before Dick slowed and pulled into the lot of, of course, a police station.

Typical.

The girl unbuckled her seat belt as Dick got out of his car. She stepped out of Fox's vehicle and shut the door behind her. Dick turned his attention to her then, the sound of the door slamming catching his ear.

"Figured we'd come to a station," She grinned, and stepped up onto the cement sidewalk. He returned the grin with a slight chuckle.

"Easiest way to find anything out." He explained, and Veronica nodded in agreement.