Mr. Right? | 03

KAIRO

A day had passed since that locker incident and I was still out of it. We were currently seated in our classroom waiting for the arrival of our Math teacher. And I was - you guessed it - staring at Alexandria. 

And surprisingly, she didn't even look at me - not even once. She didn't even glance at me for a second - which led me to believing that the guy from earlier hadn't even given her the letter. But why would he do that if he knew it was meant for Alexandria?

"Kairo, stop stressing out over the letter thing," Ethan spoke, pulling me out of my thoughts. "I'm sure he'll give it to her sooner or later."

I gave him a blunt nod in response and decided to smuggle my way into Ethan and Barbara's conversation, "What are you guys talking about?"

Barbara pressed her palm against her forehead in frustration and huffed out, "This idiot thinks that bananas and plantains are the same thing."

"They are! Aren't they, Kairo? They're just cooking bananas, that's all," Ethan scoffed.

"But that doesn't mean they're the same thing, you idiot!" Barbara retorted. 

"But they're a part of the banana family," Ethan shot back. "You just can't eat them without cooking them, that's all."

Barbara furrowed her eyebrows at Ethan before leaning back against her chair and asking in a low tone, "Do you add your milk first or your cereal?"

"How is that related to bananas?" he responded before letting out a hum. "I add my milk first. I mean not my milk, but-"

"Ew, gross!" she exclaimed.

"Which part?" I snorted. "The fact that he adds the milk first or that inappropriate joke he made?"

"Both," she said with a huff. "Alright, Ethan. What's the shape of the Earth?"

"I swear to God if he says that it's flat-," I began at the same time in which Barbara uttered the words: "I swear to God if he says that the Earth doesn't exist."

"Ha! You guys are idiots," Ethan snorted. "The Earth is obviously a-"

We leaned in closer, awaiting his response with eyebrows raised out of curiosity. He simultaneously leaned in closer and whispered with the most serious expression on his face:
"A doughnut."

Barbara blinked - once, twice, thrice - and then landed Ethan a hard smack on his head.

"Your brain is a doughnut," I commented with a snort before leaning back against my chair.

"Oh whatever, you twizzlers," he responded with a victorious grin. He continued along with something else, however I didn't pay attention, because just then the boy I had seen earlier at Alexandria's locker entered the classroom. He took his time, scanning the room with his eyes - and I took the time to do the same to him  because I could see him clearly now.

His eyes were a piercing shade of brown, and his thick eyebrows were furrowed out of curiosity. He had a constellation of freckles splattered across his cheeks and on the bridge of his nose, and had an evident dimple on just one side of his face. Another thing that stood out was a barely visible scar right above his left eyebrow - it looked like it was fading, but at the same time it looked like he'd gotten it not too long ago.

Just then, our eyes met. I felt an unexplainable chill run down my spine and quickly looked elsewhere. After a second had passed, I glanced up at him again - but he wasn't looking at me anymore and he had already taken his seat beside someone else. 

I turned to Ethan and Barbara and with my voice barely above a whisper, I informed them that the boy who had just entered was the same boy I'd seen at Alexandria's locker. 

Ethan let out a quiet hum and Barbara chewed on her bottom lip as if she was hiding something. Normally, I would've let it slide, but it caught my interest. 

"Do you know who he is?" I asked her with a raised brow.

"No," she responded quickly with a forced smile - a forced smile that I noticed - "Why would you think that?"

I let it slide and shook my head at her, leaning back against my chair. Right after I'd done so, I noticed Alexandria turn around in her seat. Almost instinctively, I looked over at her - and at the same time she shot a warm smile towards my direction. 

Only problem? That smile wasn't for me. 

She was smiling at Barbara. 

"You guys know each other?" I questioned in a low voice.

"No, we don't," Barbara responded. "Now let's talk about something else, yeah?"

Ethan and I shot each other a look of suspicion before shrugging, "Alright. What did you have in mind?"