Chapter 2

I was swimming leisurely in my lake, looking at the blue sky while contemplating my life. Or the lack thereof. My warden was staying on his usual seat below the ever bloomed silver leaves trees. It's a normal day for us. 

I started to countdown. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. Bam! Bam! A sound echoed through the place. It's been a month since the mortals tried to bring down the ward surrounding the place of the god of order. I did not know what's going through those mortals' mind, trying to pull down the ward protecting the god of order's place. 

"They're at it again." A flip of my tail, I swam to the border of the lake and rested my arms on the grassy land surrounding the lake. "Are you afraid? Afraid that they break your ward?" I asked ill-heartedly. 

"They cannot," the god replied calmly. He continued reading the book he had on hand. I had no idea how he could read even with his eyes covered, but he could. He could also catch whatever mischief I did. 

It was known that the god of order was a guy with silver white hair. What's more telling than his silver white hair was that his eyes were covered by a ribbon lined with godly words. No one had ever seen his eyes. Some said the moment he untied the ribbon covering his eyes, that was the day the world ended. That's partly correct. The moment he untied the ribbon, was the day you and your species headed to demise. 

"What if they can? This group of mortals is stronger than the last group. And they're holding something powerful." I smiled hungrily. I could feel it. It's in the air. The mortals just pulled out a powerful tool. 

That tool was calling to my blood. It's a tool made by one of us. Back then our species was able to fight with the gods, we had then made a dagger to shatter the soul of a god. But then everything ended. The beast who forged the dagger was long gone. Killed in the battle between us beast and the gods. The tool the mortals were using now was also made by that blacksmith, not the dagger, but something else. 

The man under the trees could also sense a beast's tool was being used. He responded with just a brief pause before flipping over the page he was reading. "If they really break the ward, I will meet them. Don't worry." 

"Why should I be worried?" I flicked my tail in annoyance. "If they can really barge in, I want to give them my applause. Barging into the place of god? The courage! If they can kill you all the better! Then I'll be free. Maybe they're holding that dagger." I smiled evilly while lying. I knew he could sense that the tool was made by us, but unlike us, he could not distinguish between them. 

He sighed subtly again, thus angering me again. I was considering splashing him with water when I heard him asked in his cold, calm voice, "Why are you so sure you'll be free?" 

"If they can really kill you,  they can also break the spells chaining me here! Don't worry, the first thing I do will be to sing you a good strong requiem before I leave to disturb the order of the world. See what a nice prisoner I am." 

"You won't be freed," he answered quietly. "You'll either be killed as a monster or sold off as a pet." He returned to his book. 

"Don't belittle me! If not for the spells sealing me, I'll be..." I stopped as soon as I heard the coarse harsh voice coming from my throat. As long as the spells were still on me, I would still be a useless mermaid. Was it called 'mermaid'? The 'mystical creatures' invented by mortals based on the tales of us beasts. 

History was written by the victors. Beasts were brainless monsters hated by mortals. No one would believe me. If they did, I would be killed off like the monster they thought I was. If they didn't, I would be sold off as a mermaid, a novelty to the rich. 

"No, you're just messing with me. I don't believe I can't mesmerize one single mortal to break my spell. As long as I can escape from this prison, there must be ways to break the spells."

That's right, how silly of me to be tricked by him again. What if I was sold, as long as I was alive, I could still find ways to break the spells on me. As long as I was still alive, I could trick mortals.

The god of order looked at me, I assumed he was looking at me since his eyes were covered, a brief elegant smile appeared on his face as he said gently, "Everything is moot if I'm still alive. So don't worry, Lorelei." 

I was caught by the surprise of him calling me by name. And worse, he put some power into his words when he was saying my name. Names had power. At the sound of my name, I seemed to lose control of my body. I started to sink back into my place under the lake. Just that instant, the ward broke and mortals rushed in. 

This sly god of order, he didn't want mortals to see me! He gave me one last confident and elegant smile before he turned to face the mortals. 

I swear I would return the favor one day as soon as I discover his name! 

Who am I kidding, why would a god give you your name? So that you could hold power over him? 

It's just more realistic to depend on Rachelle and her never ending ways of finding problems. Rachelle I depended on you to create a disturbance to the world and drew the god of order to finally find you! Then I could set my escape plan to motion. 

------------------

Author's note

Chapter 2!!! Hope you like it! Do tell me what you think. See you next time!