15: Pushed Away

Korra and the rest were ready to go to the party. Yesterday, they had found out new airbenders were popping up possibly because of Harmonic Convergence Tenzin assumes. It was another reason to celebrate. New airbenders was something Avatar Aang would have loved to see. Korra wore her formal clothing to fit in with the people in the party who were supposed to be high-ranking officials of the city and people with high status. Korra wondered if Hiko would really come or if he'd back out. He wasn't really much of a people person.

"Are you ready?" Asami poked her head in Korra's room.

"Yeah, I'll be right out." Korra said while putting on her necklace.

"You look well-dressed." Asami made her way into the room to help with Korra's necklace.

"I figured I would." Korra shivered at Asami's touch at the back of her neck.

"Jinora's really excited, he really likes that Hiko kid." Asami had finally connected the necklace which matched Korra's outfit perfectly.

"I like him too, he's a good teacher." Korra turned around to face Asami, their faces inches away from one another. "You look beautiful." The words slipped out of Korra's mouth. Asami gave a small smirk.

"Come on, we'll be late." Asami lead Korra out the door to the living room where Tenzin and his family were waiting. Mako and Bolin were off to the side chatting.

"Let's go, the President is waiting for us." Tenzin walked out of the temple followed by the rest of them. It was a cold night, and it made the ride to Republic city seem longer.

Hiko put on his formal clothing he had bought the other day just for the occassion. It was itchy but admittedly it made him look good. He stared at himself in the mirror fixing his collar when he heard a knock on the door. Sighing, he walked up to the door and opened it. Jianjun looked back at him with nervous eyes and pursed lips.

"What are you doing here?" Hiko asked before Jianjun could open his mouth.

"I wanted to ask you to dinner, my treat. Just to make it up to you." Jianjun was fiddling his fingers.

"I have somewhere to go to tonight." Hiko made his way back to his bedside where he put on his shoes.

"You look fancy, where are you going?"

"None of your business." Hiko's excitement for the party was slowly fading away as anger replaced it. "Can you go please? I don't want to deal with you yet." Hiko stood up feeling his feet in the tight shoes.

"I understand, just....we're family. We shouldn't seperate each other." Jianjun was basically pleading with Hiko. He knew it was a stretch, but he really wanted to connect with him. Meanwhile, Hiko was fixing his hair for the first time in ages, he felt more conscious of himself than ever. "Please Hiko let me be a part of your life." Jianjun continued.

"Why now? When I finally have a purpose. Where were you when I was starving when I had just gotten here? Where were you when I was beaten up by a bunch of thugs?" Hiko's anger had increased after hearing Jianjun's words. He knew better than anyone that some words can mean nothing.

"I'm so sorry Hiko. If you would just let me..." Jianjun approached Hiko and put a hand on his side. Hiko flinched and slapped Jianjun's hand away.

"Go away." Hiko muttered as he looked at Jianjun with hatred.

"I'm sorry." Jianjun walked out of the room.

Hiko was now shaking with anger, but tonight was all about relaxing. Taking a deep breath he regained his composure and went back to the mirror, seeing himself. A single tear sliding on the side of his face.