Yale Decision

Maddie had spent all of Christmas break and Half the month of January trying to find Chuck.

Her father was ready to pull out of any and all deals with the Bass Corporation if Chuck didn't come back soon.

To make matters worse Yale's early decisions were coming out today.

Maddie walked into the courtyard to find Serena and Blair sitting at a table.

"What's going on?" Maddie asked.

"Yale early decisions. Is how's it going?" Blair asked.

"Still nothing" Isabel responded as she continually refreshed the cellphone.

Maddie's phone buzzed. She opened the notification to see Yale's acceptance letter.

"Blair Uh" Isabel said unsure of how to tell her.

"Waitlisted. Uh" Blair said storming off. Her dreams of Yale crushed in front of her.

Maddie decided not to say anything to anyone. Especially not Blair.

By the end of the school day word had gotten around that two students from Constance's were accepted in. Maddie was curious as to who the other student was.

"Ugh, it has to be Nelly Yuki for sure but who's the other?" Blair questioned as the three walked out of school.

"I don't know B" Serena said.

"Blair" Ms. Carson said from the doorway of her classroom. "Here's your paper. Oh and Serena, Maddie yours as well. Have a good day ladies" she greeted.

Maddie flipped over he paper to see a A on the front.

"No a B this can't be happening. Does this lady know Constance gives seniors a free pass second semester" Blair stormed off while Serena and Maddie continued to walk.

"I got in please don't tell Blair she'll be so jealous" Serena revealed.

"I got in as well" Maddie said. The two looked at each other apprehensively.

"Are you going?" Maddie asked.

"I don't know you?"

"I really don't want to. Just need to tell my dad first" Maddie said with a sigh.

Just then her phone went off. A text about Chuck's whereabouts.

"I have to go see you later?" Maddie asked. Serena shook her head and waved good.

Maddie hopped in a cab and headed to the Palace. She waited outside on the sidewalk for Jack and Chuck to arrive.

"Where was he?" Maddie asked as Jack got out.

"Somewhere in Thailand" he responded. Maddie walked closer wanting to speak to Chuck. Jack pulled Chuck's almost lifeless body out of the limo.

"What's wrong with him?" Maddie asked concerned.

"He's probably not even going to remember this" Jack winked. Maddie was disgusted at his actions.

Maddie watched as Jack brought Chuck upstairs. She decided it was best to head home now.

The elevator opened and Maddie was bombarded with banners and balloons in Yale's colors.

"Oh Congratulations. I'm so proud" her father beamed.

Maddie sheepishly smiled.

"Yale is releasing a press statement tomorrow"

"You accepted the offer already?" Maddie asked frustrated.

"Where else would you go?"

"Dad look I-"

"I didn't donate a new library for them not to accept you. They weren't looking to take two girls from Constance this year but I made sure of it" her father explained.

"I have to go. I forgot I had this thing.. celebrate tonight?" Maddie asked rushing towards the elevator.

Once inside she pulled out her phone.

"Can we talk?" She asked.
———
"Hey sorry to interrupt your date but I'm having a crisis and I have no one else to turn to" Maddie said as she walked into the art gallery.

"We were just eating perogies and talking about the opera tomorrow night" Vanessa said.

"What's up you sounded upset on the phone?" Nate asked.

"I got into Yale and I don't want to go. My dad paid for my acceptance because they were only taking one Constance girl this year. Blair didn't even get in so I couldn't tell her about this. Chuck is back from Thailand all drugged up. What do I do?"

"Is Yale such a bad thing?" Vanessa asked. Maddie could tell she didn't like the Upper East Siders Nate was friends with.

"It's just not my dream" Maddie responded.

"I would say screw your dad but it looks like your in too deep" Nate said.

"I figured... I guess I just needed to hear it from somebody else" Maddie sighed. "I won't be a bother anymore. Bye guys"

Maddie headed back home only to find her father had last minute work he needed to take care of. So Maddie headed to the bar to drink her sorrows away.

A few drinks in the last person on the planet she would want to join her did.

"Rose"

"Baizen"

"Let me buy you a drink"

"One more can't hurt" Maddie slurred raising her empty glass.

Unbeknownst to Maddie, a sober Chuck was waiting for her at her penthouse.