𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 23.

━ 𝗸𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗮𝗰𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗺𝘆.

"𝐇𝐈, 𝐈'𝐌 𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐇," 𝐒𝐇𝐄 held her hand out in front of Daryl.

We were standing in the entryway of the house, the screen door closed shut behind us, as the soft wind ruffled through the leaves on the trees. I was standing next to Sarah with my hands folded together, as Caroline and Daryl stood hip-to-hip in front of us.

    There was something written on their faces. A certain uncomfortableness when they stared at her— that they knew something we didn't. But I was too preoccupied and washed the thought away with a solution that, maybe, they were just uncomfortable because she was the richest on the island. They were smiling, anyway.

"Daryl," he replied, with tight smile. He took her hand in his and shook it firmly, nodding once. "This is Caroline," he motioned to his wife.

Sarah then held out her hand to my grandma, leaning forward a bit.

"It's very nice to see you, Sarah," Caroline grinned, looking happy. Her eyes crinkled as she smiled. They knew who she was.

    I stared at both of my grandparents, trying to make out their specific expressions, because they seemed equally as excited for me and at the same time, confused. I think they were just happy to see me making friends. Caroline's eyes were crinkling a little more than usual, though.

"It's a pleasure to meet you guys too," Sarah smiled, her cheeks puffing, and she glanced to me.

I almost laughed, finding the formal introduction a bit unusual, and her glance almost made me burst with laughter, but I held it in.

"What brings you here?" Daryl asked, and I could tell he was trying to be as kind as he possibly could.

"Well," Sarah started, side-eyeing me a little bit, "only if it's alright with you guys— I was wondering if I could, maybe, take Charlotte to a party? It's just a small thing, to meet some new people on the island." She said, her voice sweet.

Caroline and Daryl looked to each other, as if searching for an answer in one another's expressions. Sarah nudged her shoulder into mine lightly, as small smiles rose to their faces.

"I suppose so," Caroline sighed a happy sigh, looking to me. "No drinking, though." She put a finger up firmly, and lowered her eyes.

"Yes— of course," Sarah quickly nodded up and down, a wide grin over her plump lips, "I'll drive her home after, what time would be good?" She nudged her shoulder with mine again, excitedly.

Caroline did her signature wave-hand-through-the-air, nonchalantly. "Just don't come home at five in the morning, please," she let out a laugh.

"No smoking," Daryl added.

"Got it," I nodded once firmly. I couldn't lie and say that I wasn't at least a little bit excited.

"No drugs," Caroline pointed her finger at me again.

"Yes." I understood, nodding again.

"And no boys," he lowered his eyes at me.

Caroline whacked his stomach with the back of her hand.

"Where's this party at?" She asked, ignoring what he'd said.

"Just at my boyfriend's house," Sarah nodded, saying it casually.

"Alright," Caroline responded, folding her hands together again, and grinning warmly. "Have fun, girls."

"Thanks," Sarah beamed at them, wrapping her hand around my wrist, "You guys are cool grandparents." She laughed out loud.