14| The Lie

“Wyatt, what does this mean?” I asked again when he didn’t answer me. After we slept together that night at the prom, we never spoke about it. I guess we both figured it was best to not talk about it and try to preserve our friendship. 

He ran his hand over his face before he looked at me again. “I don’t know, Lia.” He dropped his hands to his sides before he walked over to his bed and sat on the edge. “God, I really fucked everything up, didn’t I?” 

“You keep saying that, but you haven’t done anything.” 

“I don’t mean now. I mean that night.”

My head tilted to the side. “You mean graduation?” 

“Yes.” He rested his elbows on his knees. “After we spent that night together at the prom, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I couldn’t stop thinking about you. I wanted you. At first, I didn’t know how you felt about me. I had no idea if you felt the same way. I hoped you did.” He let out a harsh breath before he continued. “The night of the graduation party, when I came to find you, I was going to--” he looked away and didn’t finish his sentence. 

I was standing by his open patio door. I welcomed the cool breeze as it hit me. “You were going to what?”

He cleared his throat before he spoke again. But he still didn’t look at me. “I was going to tell you that I wanted...more.” Finally he met my stare. “I wanted more with you. I wanted a relationship. I wanted...you, Lia. Just as I was going to kiss you, you told me you loved me.”

My heart was pounding so hard, I felt like I was going to pass out. “If you wanted more with me, then why the hell did--”

“I panicked,” he confessed. He got to his feet and started walking around the room. “You said you loved me and I panicked. I don’t know why exactly, but I just got...scared.”

“Scared of what? Of me?” 

He turned towards me. “No. I was scared that if we did try to have a relationship, it could ruin our friendship. You're my best friend, Lia. I didn’t want to lose you. You’re the only one I have. I trust you more than anyone, and I knew I would never get close to someone else like I am with you.” 

I couldn’t help but agree with some of what he said. I had the same worries when it came to becoming more than friends. I didn’t think I could get close to someone like that again either. “So you made me think you didn’t feel the same way and went to California?” 

He crossed his arms over the chest. “I thought the distance would help me get over you. And I thought it would help you get over me. I wanted you to see other people. I wanted you to date. I wanted you to be happy.” There was an edge to his voice when he said, “I just didn’t know you would be happy with my brother.”

His voice changed to a jealous whisper. Possessive. Deep. “Every time you told me you went on a date with some guy, I wondered if he was going to be the one lucky enough to be with you.” He started walking towards me slowly. I was frozen in place by his words. “I was so relieved each time you told me they were horrible.” He stopped right in front of me. We were close enough that if he leaned forward an inch, we would be kissing. 

His expression softened as his eyes ran over my face, hair, lips… “Then you told me you were dating Logan.” He reached out and traced his finger along the seam of my lips. “The thought of him kissing you drove me crazy.” He ran his hand down my arm. “Or feeling your soft skin.” 

My breathing turned into short pants. My body responded to his in ways I didn’t even know existed. My skin tingled after he touched me. My core heated with unimaginable desire. For Wyatt. And he knew it, too.