Ch 50: A Present, Longevity Noodles

Quote of the Day:

"Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness." - Zhuang Zhou

**

It's me, Yuan Zi Yan again.

Early afternoon right now.

Today is suppose to be the day of Xu Kai's birthday. I have been preparing a gift for him this entire day.

"Miss, you should take a break. Look, almost all of your fingers are bandaged." She sighs, "What should I do with you?" Xiu Ying stands beside me, luxuriating in guilt and indecision.

I brush her comment off, "No worries. I got this," I say as I finish embroidering the piece of linen.

"W-What is that, Elder Miss?" Xiu Ying cannot decipher my mysterious gift. She purses her lips in a prim expression, "Is that a chicken?"

Gasping, I exclaim, "C-Chicken? That is not what I intended."

"What was it meant to be?"

I let out a single dry cough, "A Phoenix."

"P-Phoenix! Phoenix.." She clears her throat, "I-I mean, your progress is better than before."

I exhale sullenly, "It's terrible, isn't it? I have to restart!" While I pick up the embroidery materials again, I ask Xiu Ying, "Can you bring me a piece of paper and ink?"

"Miss, what are you going to write?"

"I will write a letter to Sir Xu, informing him that I have something to speak with him about. I understand he is occupied, so he can take his time. I'll let him know I will wait for him in the Gaijin Longevity Noodle stand."

Xiu Ying nods, "Would you like me to go with you?"

"There is no need, Xiu Ying. I will be fine." I smile, continuing to embroider.

I got this! This is only a simple gift. To celebrate his Birthday.

To thank him for essentially offering me a job. That's all.

Talking about that, I was surprised when I saw trunks of silver and gold delivered to me. I haven't seen that much money, not even in the present.

It sure feels good to earn a decent amount of money based on merit.

**

It is mid-noon.

Sitting on the wooden seat surrounding the table, I await for Xu Kai. The Noodle Stand Owner, an elderly man, asks if I would like to order anything. I shake my head and smile, "I'm waiting for someone. I will order when he comes."

Xiu Ying said my letter was being delivered by the messenger. I hope Xu Kai sees it soon.

Gradually, the sky turns orange. I play around with his present. People walk by one by one, traveling in groups. Children sing songs while wandering around hand in hand.

Patience, patience.

"Miss, is your friend coming? You have been waiting for quite some time now," the elderly business owner comments.