Chapter 8

"Can I have your attention?"

Nate and I looked up to see Adrian standing on a dice placed at the centre of the hall. He had his right arm on the dice as he spoke. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! It's my extreme pleasure to announce that The Stones Inc. has partnered with Eva's and Co. regarding our production and marketing department.

I'd like to thank the CEO of Eva's and Co., Ms. Evelyn White for the opportunity. I am certain that together, we can create a big impact in the business world. Now I'd like to request Ms. White to come up here and share her thoughts. Thank you. Hope you enjoy your evening." He ended and huge applause were sounded around the entire hall as people looked at my direction expectantly.

Nate gently patted my arm and I went to where Adrian was standing, his eyes challenging as he looked at me. I was fuming at him because apparently I was to give a surprise speech. I had no idea about any of this. He didn't even think it was necessary to give me a little heads up.

Sighing internally, I smiled at the guests and spoke, "Good evening everyone! Hope you all are enjoying yourselves. I really didn't want to interrupt your good time but my newfound business partner over here seems to have made it his goal to disturb your fun and mine as well." I gestured to the said devil earning few chuckles from the audience and continued, "So I'm just going to express my happiness towards the collaboration of The Stones Inc. and Eva's and Co. and pray it will bring the best for everyone. Now I assure you, there are going to be no further interruptions. Thank you everyone. Enjoy the night!"

I smiled as people congratulated me and moved towards the food court, occasionally nodding to some friendly faces. I was just enjoying my blueberry cake when Nate walked up to me, grinning from ear to ear. "Nice speech, White. I am surprised you have a sense of humour."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Of course, that's what you need to say after your jerk of a boss didn't think it important to notify me of the speech I was apparently supposed to deliver. If only strangling someone and then chopping their body parts one by one was legal in this country. Well, it doesn't have to be in this country. Just tell me where it is legal and I'll take him there to do the job." I said, smirking at the mental image. If only...

Nate chuckled. "You have a... vivid imagination. And no, I don't think what you want to do is legal anywhere in the world. Well, maybe as they say, it's legal in hell. But we don't know yet if it exists and even if it does, you both would have to be dead first and then go to hell so there's really no point if you're both already dead. And besides, I'd miss you too much if you went to hell so I'll have to come there which wouldn't be taken well by the Angels waiting for me, y'know? So, you need to drop the idea."

I rolled my eyes again and snorted in a very unladylike manner. "God, you're just like your big headed idiotic boss. I think I'll just send you both together to hell instead."

He dramatically widened his eyes and put his right hand to his left chest, feigning hurt. "You shouldn't speak such lie madame! God will condemn you for this! For you lied to me when you love me so." Then he smiled mischievously and leaned closer. "By the way, you do know that the one you've been thinking to do some illegal things to, just so happens to be my best friend, right?"

I gasped. I'd completely forgotten about that. I could feel myself flush from embarrassment but tried my best to act nonchalant. "Oops! I'd forgotten that you're friends with that devil. More specifically, best friend. " I pretended to gag.