Chapter 54- A New Life

Turns out, you and Obi-Wan weren't going anywhere exciting. Your old Master just began to trek through the desert until he found a suitable spot to set up camp. Whenever you asked him why he didn't have a permanent residence anywhere he'd always say the same thing:
"It's too early now, Stormtroopers are still searching for remaining Jedi. Better to move around and throw off the trail."

After a few times of asking the same question you decided to let it go. Obi-Wan was smarter and older than you after all. You helped him set up everything and sat down in front of a small fire with him across from you.
"You never fully told me why you left," Obi-Wan said. "The whole story."

You gave him a sad smile.
"I suppose I haven't," you said. "Where shall I start?"
"The beginning," Obi-Wan said. "Isn't that where all stories should begin?"
"Very well," you said taking a deep breath. Obi-Wan wouldn't be as calm when you were done. "It started a little over sixteen years ago, I was a fifteen year old Padawan and you were my Master."
"That is the beginning?" Obi-Wan interrupted. "I didn't expect that, but go on."
"My best friend was Ahsoka Tano," you said shaking from fear and being nervous. "We got close, a little too close."
"What's that suppose to mean?" Obi-Wan narrowed his eyes.

You took another deep breath.
"We were dating," you said quickly and then tried to blend in the shadows, hoping that you could melt away from this conversation.
"You were what!?" Obi-Wan asked getting up.
"I'm sorry Master," was all you could say as you cowered on your seat.
"For how long?" He asked walking over to you.
"Ever since I got shot by Pre Vizsla," you said nervously.
"You were disobeying the Jedi Order?"
"I'm sorry Master!" You said standing up. "But it's like how you felt about Satine, yeah I knew about that!  You just can't help it, you can't help but fall in love with someone.  We're Jedi, but we're also human."

Obi-Wan looked like he wanted to yell at you more, but he just shook his head and sat back down, but this time he sat next to you.
"You're right," he said. "I loved Satine, and you fell in love with Ahsoka, we're only human."
You smiled to yourself, happy that Obi-Wan understood.
"But that still does not explain your actions as to why you actually dated her," Obi-Wan suddenly bursted out.
"We were kids, stupid kids," you said. "But it turned out to be the best decision of my life."
"You broke the rules," Obi-Wan said.
"I'm sorry Master, but I don't regret it one bit," you looked at him. "You have to understand."

Obi-Wan gave a sigh of defeat and shook his head.
"As much as I disagree with your actions," he started. "I suppose it did make you into a better Jedi."
You looked over at him and gave your Master a small smile, which he returned.
"I suppose you left your Rebellion because of her death," Obi-Wan concluded.
"You know me too well," you shook your head. "I just needed time to think things over."

You and Obi-Wan sat in silence for a moment, before you decided to bring up the question you've wanted to ask him for a while.
"Master?"
"Hm?"
"Can you please tell me what happened to Anakin? I mean the full story."
"I might as well," Your Master sighed before speaking again. "Master Yoda and I returned to the Jedi Temple to fix the message telling all Jedi to come to the temple. We found all the Jedi Younglings dead and discovered that they were killed with a lightsaber."

You looked down, already knowing what was going to happen.
"We went to go fix the beacon, but in the process, I looked at the security hologram and found my answers," Obi-Wan said.
"Anakin," you said for him.
"Yes, it was him," Obi-Wan said. "Master Yoda told me to go face him, he sent me to kill him. So I travelled to Mustafar and fought him."
"Who won?" You asked.
"I think we both lost," Obi-Wan said. "Anakin lost his limbs, and I lost my brother."

You looked at your Master and saw nothing but sadness in his eyes. You had to be there for him, now more than ever.
"I'm sorry Master," you said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry you had to fight him."
"Thank you (y/n)," Obi-Wan gave you a small smile and looked down again. "It's kind of nice to have company out here."
"I agree," you said. "I'm glad we saw each other again."

You and your Master smiled at each other one more time before you both fell asleep to the sound of the crackling fire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You woke up to the blinding sunlight in your eyes, the fire was now a trail of gray smoke, trailing through the sky.
"Morning sleepyhead," Obi-Wan said, handing you a ration bar.
"Thanks," you said taking it and sitting up. "What time is it?"
"Almost noon," Obi-Wan answered. "I figured it's been a while since you've slept, so I gave you some extra time."
"And now we have to go?" You guessed.
"Yes,"

You finished eating your ration bar and helped Obi-Wan pack up his supplies. You picked up your back and swung it over your shoulder.
"Ready?" You asked your Master.
"Yeah, lets go," he said.
"Which way should we go?" You asked.
"Let's head into town for the day and restock on our resources," Obi-Wan said. "I'm running low."

You nodded and walked with him in the direction of the town where you met Owen Lars. Thankfully it wasn't too far and you could see it in the distance.

Soon you and Obi-Wan were walking across the desert in silence.
"So, how's the Rebellion doing?" Obi-Wan asked to break the silence.
"We're recruiting new people everyday," you said. "We have a permanent base which is good, but the Empire is a tough enemy."
"And you don't have the support of the Jedi anymore," Obi-Wan noted.
"Yeah," you nodded. "During the Clone Wars, we had the resources, funding, and plenty of soldiers."
"Yes, we did," your Master nodded. "Now you only have the recruits."

You nodded in agreement and watched as the town got bigger as you got closer. You ran your hand across the claw marks that were scratched into your chest plate by that Nexu, years ago. You never wanted to get it fixed as a way to keep the memory. You felt your lightsaber in your bag get heavier the more you thought about it and your old life. You fought the temptation to pull it out and swing it around.

Finally you and Obi-Wan reached the town and he walked over to a man with a hood on to buy more food. You used the opportunity to get a look around and watched as bounty hunters walked through the streets, searching for jobs. One walked up to you and eyed your armor.

"Hey, I'll pay you a lot of credits for the armor," he said.
"Not for sale," you said.
"You sure?" The man held out a giant pouch full of credits.
"Yeah, back off," you said, threateningly placing a hand on your blaster.
The bounty hunter groaned and muttered some quiet curses before he walked away slouching.

"What was that?" Obi-Wan asked.
"Some bounty hunter wanted my armor," you shrugged. "Naturally, I said no and threatened him for good measure."
"Oh yes, naturally," Obi-Wan said sarcastically. "Cause you always have to threaten someone."
"Exactly," you said, not noticing his sarcasm.
"Let's just go," Obi-Wan sighed.

You followed him out of the town and back into the desert as you noticed the suns begin to dip below the mountains in the distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the sky got dark and you and Obi-Wan finished setting up camp for the night, you both laid down on the ground. You were glad that you had found Obi-Wan and became a Jedi Knight. The first two days had been a change of pace for you compared to the battles you used to fight. It was nice, almost as if there was no war. You drifted off to sleep as you dreamed about what would've happened if the Clone Wars never happened.