47 | dreaming death

| meliorism |
chapter forty-seven
❝ smells like teen spirit ❞

| meliorism | chapter forty-seven❝ smells like teen spirit ❞

҉  ҉  ҉ 

      When someone experiences loss after loss, after loss, eventually, they become numb. Their sense of directions embarks in a way that they never thought it would, all because their love was broken. Days were the same, no emotion or excitement. Nights were torturous, feeling everything and nothing at the same time.

    One could lose their minds, after a while. Sanity becomes just too much, too heavy to carry, too hard to keep. Getting rid of it becomes the only possible option. Feeling nothing was the only possible option, that's the choice she took.

A story broke out. A fire was set in the Allen household, rumors said that the father, Ben, had set it. There were two bodies confirmed, but the other two had yet to be found. People whispered horrible things, one of them being that the other two bodies, belonging to the children, burned so bad, that their bodies disintegrated into ashes.

   Word got out that the Bekker girl had been there in the scene. People whispered their theories, she knew that, they said that she was the one who started the fire. That she was the one who set her family on fire. In part, that was true. Her actions had killed them, and because they didn't know the full story, they needed someone to blame; as if she hadn't done that herself.

Rhena's dark emerald eyes stared blankly at the ceiling. Nothing was in her mind anymore, she couldn't feel anymore. She could feel the sunlight sinking in her bare skin, but she couldn't feel it's warmth, not anymore.

    Next to her, in the center table, her phone was vibrating. It had been doing that the whole morning, but she didn't check it. Instead, she positioned her hands on top of her stomach, and continued staring into nothingness, her new found activity. She knew it was her friends, keeping her updated on their days and what was going on in school, now that she was no longer attending.

    The couch she had been sleeping on for the last few days was still not comfortable, but she wouldn't change it. This was better than the bed in her room, she hadn't entered, the memory of her sister was too strong there. She had spent her days on the couch, sleeping, thinking, staring at the ceiling. Dreading the upcoming papers and events, where Cade had to plan a funeral.

It had been a week after the incident, but it felt longer than that. All those days, Rhena had been lost through time and mind, barely remembering. Jax had started to live with his mom in another state, he couldn't keep living in the town where death followed. She couldn't blame him, at all.

The day he announced it, she helped him pack, hugged him goodbye and watched him drive away; it was better that way, he was going to be safe and far away from her. Cade, on the hand, had stayed, but it didn't feel like it. He didn't leave her alone, but his new job was far away that he was barely home. The loss of his siblings and mom had hit him hard, especially because he was still mourning his best friend.