Dumbledore's Suspension

Hari headed down to the quidditch pitch on Saturday for their match against Hufflepuff.
The teams walked onto the field. Oliver Wood took off for a warm-up flight around the goal posts; Madam Hooch released the balls. The Hufflepuffs, who played in canary yellow, were standing in a huddle, having a last-minute discussion of tactics.
Hari was just mounting her broom when Professor McGonagall came half marching, half running across the pitch, carrying an enormous purple megaphone.

Hari's heart dropped like a stone, she pointed her finger at McGonagall."This match has been cancelled," Professor McGonagall called through the megaphone, addressing the packed stadium. "All students are to make their way back to the House common rooms, where their Heads of Houses will give them further information. As quickly as you can, please!" Then she lowered the megaphone and beckoned Hari over to her. "Potter, I think you'd better come with me ......" Wondering how she could possibly suspect her this time. As they went, Ron joined them at McGonagall's summon. They followed Professor McGonagall back into the school and up the marble staircase. But they wern't taken to anybody's office this time. "This will be a bit of a shock," said Professor McGonagall as they approached the infirmary. "There has been another attack ... a triple attack."
Hari's insides did a horrible somersault, who was it this time? Professor McGonagall pushed the door open and they entered.
Madam Pomfrey was bending over a fifth-year girl with long, curly hair. Hari recognized her as a Ravenclaw in a higher year. And on the bed next to her was Hermione.............
Hermione lay utterly still, her eyes open and glassy, And in the next bed over was.... Draco? How? He was a pureblood..... but she couldn't go over to him, not with Ron and McGonagall there.

"They were found near the library," said Professor McGonagall. "I don't suppose you can explain this? It was on the floor next to them ......" She was holding up a small, circular mirror. Hari shook her head, staring at Draco, still not understanding how.
"I will escort you back to Gryffindor Tower," said Professor McGonagall heavily. "I need to address the students in any case."

'Can I please stay here, for now at least? I'm quiet and won't get in the way.'

"Alright, I will be back for you later." McGonagall left, and thankfully Ron followed her.

As soon as they were gone she made her way over to Draco's bed. She sat down beside him. He was lying on the hospital bed as though carved out of stone. His hands clenched beside him, then she noticed that in his hand was a piece of paper. 

She pulled it out to find 5:30, I found out what it is, scrawled on it. He had found out what the creature was, but he wouldn't be able to tell her.

This was too much, this had to end. Then she had an idea, Hagrid had been expelled 50 years ago, the year the chamber had opened... maybe he knew something. She decided to go that night. 

She was just about to sneak out when Ron appeared. Seeing the cloak, he said, "I'm coming with you." 

The journey through the dark and deserted castle corridors wasn't enjoyable. Hari, who had wandered the castle at night several times before, had never seen it so crowded after sunset. Teachers, prefects, and ghosts were marching the corridors in pairs, staring around for any unusual activity. It was with relief that they reached the oak front doors and eased them open. It was a clear, starry night. They hurried toward the lit windows of Hagrid's house, but there was already someone there.

It was Dumbledore, and a very odd-looking man. The stranger had rumpled gray hair and an anxious expression, and was wearing a strange mixture of clothes: a pinstriped suit, a scarlet tie, a long black cloak, and pointed purple boots. Under his arm he carried a lime-green bowler. It was the minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge. Hagrid opened the door, then went pale and sweaty.  Hari and Ron followed them through the door. Hagrid dropped into one of his chairs and looked from Dumbledore to Cornelius Fudge. 

"Bad business, Hagrid," said Fudge in rather clipped tones. "Very bad business. Had to come. Four attacks on Muggle-borns. Things've gone far enough. Ministry's got to act."

"I never," said Hagrid, looking imploringly at Dumbledore. "You know I never, Professor Dumbledore, sir -"

"I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence," said Dumbledore, frowning at Fudge.

"Look, Albus," said Fudge, uncomfortably. "Hagrid's record's against him. Ministry's got to do something - the school governors have been in touch -"

"Yet again, Cornelius, I tell you that taking Hagrid away will not help in the slightest," said Dumbledore. 

"Look at it from my point of view," said Fudge, fidgeting with his bowler. "I'm under a lot of pressure. Got to be seen to be doing something. If it turns out it wasn't Hagrid, he'll be back and no more said. But I've got to take him. Got to. Wouldn't be doing my duty -"

"Take me?" said Hagrid, who was trembling. "Take me where?"

"For a short stretch only," said Fudge, not meeting Hagrid's eyes. "Not a punishment, Hagrid, more a precaution. If someone else is caught, you'll be let out with a full apology -"

"Not Azkaban?" croaked Hagrid.

Before Fudge could answer, the door opened again. Lucius Malfoy strode into Hagrid's hut, swathed in a long black traveling cloak.

"Already here, Fudge," he said.

"What're you doin' here?" said Hagrid furiously. "Get outta my house!"

"I have no pleasure at all in being inside your - er - d'you call this a house?" said Lucius Malfoy, sneering as he looked around the small cabin. "I simply called at the school and was told that the headmaster was here."

"And what exactly did you want with me, Lucius?" said Dumbledore. He spoke politely, but the fire was still blazing in his blue eyes.

Malfoy, took out a long roll of parchment, "The governors feel it's time for you to step aside. This is an Order of Suspension - you'll find all twelve signatures on it. Four muggle borns and a pure blood attacked."

"Oh, now, see here, Lucius," said Fudge, looking alarmed, "Dumbledore suspended - no, no - last thing we want just now"

"My son had been attacked!" He burst out, then composed himself, "The appointment - or suspension - of the headmaster is a matter for the governors, Fudge,"

"See here, Malfoy, if Dumbledore can't stop them," said Fudge, whose upper lip was sweating now, "I mean to say, who can?"

"That remains to be seen," said Mr. Malfoy "But as all twelve of us have voted -"

Hagrid leapt to his feet, his shaggy black head grazing the ceiling."An' how many did yeh have ter threaten an' blackmail before they agreed, Malfoy, eh?" he roared.

"That temper of yours will lead you into trouble one of these days, Hagrid," said Mr. Malfoy. "I would advise you not to shout at the Azkaban guards like that. They won't like it at all."

"Yeh can' take Dumbledore!" yelled Hagrid, making Fang the boarhound cower and whimper in his basket. "Take him away, an' the Muggle-borns won' stand a chance! There'll be killin' next!"

"Calm yourself, Hagrid," said Dumbledore sharply. He looked at Lucius Malfoy.

"If the governors want my removal, Lucius, I shall of course step aside -"
"But -" stuttered Fudge.
"No!"growled Hagrid.
"I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me... Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it." Then Dumbledore strode out the door, followed by the rest. 

With Dumbledore gone, fear had spread as never before, so that the sun warming the castle walls outside seemed to stop at the mullioned windows. There was barely a face to be seen in the school that didn't look worried and tense. Where only the other houses had been scared before, even the Slytherins seemed scared now.