A Flame

Christopher Constantinou

I watched her as she cried, holding his face. It broke my heart already, knowing that she was in pain. I knew that Eliana Tessa Castellano herself was my mate.

I cannot forget that day when I returned to the palace after hearing about the incident that took place here. I was grateful for the princess who saved the palace and lost her life in the process. At the same time, it somehow made me sad that I wasn't able to meet this great warrior princess.

Regardless, I went to Philip's office because I was unable to give my condolences to the King himself as they grieved the princess once again. And I also had to report back.

I was officially back to palace duty now that we had found the princess. But only to lose her again. It was my utmost priority to tighten the security here so that incidents like this never happened. Not on my watch.

I knew my mate was right outside the door when I offered my apologies for not being present at the palace when they needed me the most. I literally smelt the flames that seeped off her. Her scent was very strong. it was driving me crazy.

The Lycan in me was fighting for control. It wanted to go to her and hold her in his arms. In my arms. She ignited a flame in my heart. I wanted her. She was mine.

After I left Philip's office, I stood outside as I inhaled the air that still smelled of her. But it confused me as to why she didn't wait for me to be done. She should have been able to feel me too. My brows furrowed as I wondered who she was.

I inhaled deeply once more and followed her scent across the hallway, determined to find her. I stood frozen as I looked at the door in front of me. How was this possible?

The door that I was standing in front of- this room belonged to none other than Eliana Tessa Castellanos, Philip's niece, almost a royalty. I inhaled sharply as I turned on my heels and walked away.

No wonder she ran away, maybe she didn't want me as a mate. I mean she was like a princess and who was I?

Just a loyal servant of the palace. But who knew that I had just made the biggest mistake of my life by walking away from that door? Walking away from her.

I should have burst that door open and held her tight. I should have showered her with kisses. I should have held her tight and never let go. I should have...

That evening when my heart got the best of me and my body too acted on its own, I stood in front of her bedroom door once again. I knocked and waited.

And waited.

But I got nothing not even a 'go away' which would have been much better. My heart drummed as I thought of the possibilities. I grabbed the handle and it clicked open to a dark room.

A dark empty room. As I stepped inside, the cold wind swept over my body, sending chills throughout.

I turned my head towards the tall window which was wide open. The wind wafted her scent that lingered there. No. My heart sunk as I took slow steps towards it. I watched the pouring rain in the dark night as raw pain took over my heart.

I let out a loud growl as I realised what she had done. She had truly left me. And I let her. I fell on my knees in front of the window as the rain poured down heavily, a replica of my feelings right now.

Few sprinkles of rain passed through the open window and fell upon my body as I leaned back on my heels, shoulders slouched, hands on either side and head facing up to the dark sky. I felt defeated for the first time in my life. I gave up without even trying.