Chapter 43 |Moral of the story, babe|

The minute his arms encircled around her waist, memories of the past flooded their minds.

He held her so securely against him, just like before.

Khushi stared in the orbs that always haunted her. He stared in the unforgettable pools that kept him alive all these years.

Pulling her up, he cupped her left cheek.

"Tum theek ho?" (Are you ok?)

No, I'm not ok. Not after everything we've gone through, that you put me through. Her heart whispered.

"I'm fine!" she replied placing his hand away from her cheek and stepping away.

She wanted to bury her face in his chest and cry. Cry her heart out for their loss, for their broken relationship, for their love, for everything, for him not trusting her.

"I have to leave" she said hurriedly and left.

So I never really knew you
God I really tried to
Blindsided, addicted
Felt we could really do this
But really I was foolish
Hindsight it's
Obvious

Subsequently she sat in her car and the dam broke. She'd been holding up strong from so many days that it now became unbearable.  All their memories rushed into her delirious mind. She was grateful for the tinted windows, otherwise it would've been a drama had anybody seen her cry like this.

The ringing on her phone brought her out of her misery.

"Heyyy bitch" she heard her bestfriend's enthusiastic voice.

"Heyy! You not at the hospital today?" Khushi asked trying to match Mehak's tone yet failing terribly.

Mehak knew from her bestfriend's voice that nothing was right at this moment. She was sniffing and sounded as if she'd cried a river.

"Khushi what happened? Tell me right now! And I won't take any lies." Mehak demanded gravely.

That was what it took for the tears to start pouring out again.

"Mehak... it's just... I'm a... I'm such a mess." Khushi cried.

"Where are you right now?" She heard Mehak's worried voice.

She explained where she was.

"You stay there I'm on my way to you." Mehak told.

"No no! Please just stay at your house, I'm coming over to you right now." Khushi explained in a baby voice, almost embarrassed at her outburst.

Talking with my lawyer she said
"Where'd you find this guy?"
I said, "Young people fall in love"
"With the wrong people sometimes"

Reaching over at Mehak's Khushi hugged her with such a force as she opened her apartment door, causing Mehak to stumble a few steps back.

"What happened baby? Kya hua tujhe tell me?" Mehak demanded, caressing her hair. (What happened to you?)

As Khushi's cries turned into soft sobs, Mehak detangled her out of her arms and lead her to the couch.

"Shhh shh! No more crying, I'm right here!"

"What's the matter baby? Tell me!" She demanded.

Khushi stared at her bestfriend. She wasn't just her bestfriend anymore, she'd become much more than that, a sister. She'd told Mehak everything about herself, her childhood history, shifting to India, her adventures there, her family, getting married then divorced and what not. Mehak knew everything about her and she about Mehak. There possibly wasn't a single secret between them except for a single one, from khushi's side.