Chapter 30

"That's cute."

"No, that's even cuter."

"So fetch!"

"Maxie, you don't even know what fetch means..." I trail of, as the big multicoloured dog lays on my bed, eagerly helping me pick an outfit for today. It's a normal school day today, a Monday to be precise.

Ever since I told Maxie and Lucy about the evening in the glade with Luke, they won't stop reminding me of the kiss. Not that I've been able to forget it anyway, but still.

Just an innocent little kiss, and they're fangirling. No wonder I didn't bother telling them that it almost ended up being not-so-innocent anymore.

So now they've decided, without involving me, that they should take it upon themselves to make sure I always look nice in school for the sake of Luke and Emight. I, on the other hand, don't think is should change anything or drastically dress up just for them.

I'm alone with that opinion.

Maxie's answer brings me back to earth.

"I heard that in some TV program yesterday."

I crack an eyebrow at her.

"I was bored, okay?"

I roll my eyes playfully at her, before slipping on the jean shorts and a white t-shirt I've been holding the last five minutes.

"Is Lucy walking with us today?" I ask my friend, although I already know the answer.

Maxie nods at me.

"Yup. She promised."

I smile, even if I already knew it. Finally. It seems like forever since she walked me to school, and to say that I've missed her is an understatement.

"Good. Let's go!"

Maxie and I skip down the stairs quickly, my backpack stuffed with books lazily slung over my shoulder. I grab an apple of the kitchen counter before I swing the door open, just to not find Lucy there.

I feel Maxie stiffen behind me.

"What is it?" I ask her carefully, not wanting to hear the answer as I see it in front of me. It's clear evidence really.

"It's just... the tracks in the mud."

It rained all Sunday, so the grass is whet and a muddy since then. That makes it easy to make out the huge paws on the lawn, walking up to a set of small and familiar one, before both if them head to the backside of our house.

My mind races, desperately trying to come up with one creature that would do such things as the tracks indicate on.

I come up with a few possible creatures, but with the size of the paw in mind there's only one real aw set.

A werewolf.

I usher Maxie out if the house quickly, before I slam it shut and lock it with shaking hands. My backpack slips of my shoulder as I turn around again a little too forcefully.

I don't know why my hands are shaking, but it's most likely anger, frustration and fear combined.

"Maxie, I need you to track the big paws." I order her as calmly as I can, which isn't calm at all. It's like the suppressed memories of Lucy's numb lifeless body on the bed washes over my like a bucket of water.

Maxie doesn't hesitate with following my orders, instead she starts sniffing the ground.

It could have been me that tracked, but I need to come up with a plan so I manage to get to school in time. And find Lucy.

"Maxie, track the paws so that you can locate them, I'll run to school and dump my bag near by." I say, and it isn't before afterwards that I realise that I've practically ordered her the same thing already. But that just shows what state of mind I'm in.

As Maxie follows the tracks behind our house I shift into an eagle, grab my backpack in my claws and lift form the ground.

It hurts as hell, but since I many times before have come to ignore the pain, I do it this time too.

School start in half an hour, which gives me practically no time to find the werewolf who I suspect have taken Lucy. But I like challanges, even if this one might not come in the best of times. Not involving the best if people.

I see the grounds of school in merely one minute. I spot an oak tree near the football field and head for it. I don't take ground as I throw the bag behind the thick tree, but when I try to catch some air under my wings I have to fly out over the grass field next to it.

"Holy sh*t is that an eagle?!" I faintly hear someone exclaim, but I've just set my goal on finding Lucy so my senses are a blur unless I use them. I have complete focus on one thing.

I use my purple replica of the world to find the yellow soul of Lucy and the most likely orange soul of her kidnapper. I also see if I can find Maxie's moving yellow soul. I fly over the forest trying to locate them, just to find what I'm searching for.

Yellow and orange souls, suspiciously enough in the same glade.

Without hesitation, I dive. My eagle eyes squint at the wind in front of them, zooming in on the werewolf who stands in front of her.

Or should I say werewolves.

There're three of them, circling Lucy slowly.

"She doesn't seem to have a problem with her being found, so why didn't you let her see him?" Is the last this the big grey Alpha can utter, before I crash onto his back.

I shifted to a grizzly mid air, so it's quite the impact. It knocks the air out of him and I think I hear some bones snap. Before the two others can react they've faced the same destiny.

When I'm done with his sidekicks, I return to the Alpha. His eyes squint up at me, fear evident in the dull orbs. I manage to tame my grizzly-tongue and spit words at him.

"Don't... you.... dare... touch... her... again."

The pronunciation isn't the best, but I think he gets the message as I slowly walk out of there, Lucy following without hesitation. I give her a concerned glance which she returns with a Wolfe smirk. Maxie jumps out of a bush she's been hiding behind and join us, as we leave the glade. But not before hearing the Alpha's wolf mumble;

"Shifter."

-----------------
A/N:

Not satisfied with this chapter. But it's important for the plot.-Ish.

Finishing of this chapter even if I have other stuff to do. Yay. I'm such a good author. My friend is making weird snap-stories beside me.

CAN WE TAKE A MOMENT AND CRY TOGETHER AS ITS ONLY 15 CHAPTERS LEFT?!? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WHEN THIS ENDS?!?

(That's your cue to get emotional.)

//siggeisthedog *sobs*