The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith

Luke Smith took a look at his phone as he waited for his mum to arrive for her wedding. Her fiancé, Peter Dalton, walked up to him. "What have you got there?" he asked.

"A message from our friend Maria," Luke answered. "She couldn't make it. She's got exams, and her dad's tied up at work."

"Mu mum's at another wedding, yeah, because this was too short notice," his other friend, Clyde Langer, a young black boy, added. "It's all been so fast. And the Brigadier's her oldest friend, of course, but he's back in Peru. Have you got any family coming, Peter?"

"I'm afraid I'm the only one left," Peter replied sadly.

There was the sound of another limo coming up the drive, and Luke turned, worried it was his mum a bit early, when a beautiful young blonde woman stepped out, looking bashful, her long blonde hair up in a ponytail, wearing a forest green dress with brown boots. "JN!" he exclaimed, eyes wide. "You look - "

"Beautiful!" Clyde agreed, even though he'd only heard of the woman, he had heard she was gorgeous. One of SHIELD's quickest recruits, always on loan to UNIT and Torchwood.

Jenny Nightshade, or JN as Luke had deemed her, blushed bashfully, walking up. "Thank you, Luke," she said. "Thank you for having your mum provide the ride," she added.

"Are your parents making it today?" Luke asked.

"I don't know," Jenny admitted. "They've been . . . distracted lately."

Luke nodded. "Go on in. Be sure to be up near the front."

Jenny smiled and nodded, going inside. "Who're her parents?" Clyde asked again.

Luke smirked. "You'll meet them some day."

Clyde nodded, shaking his head. "There's still something so weird about all this."

"You didn't have to come, Clyde," Luke reminded him.

"I wouldn't miss this! What if something happens?"

"Just because your dad turned out bad doesn't mean mine will."

"He's not your dad!"

"He's going to be. Don't spoil my mum's day!" He checked his watch, then turned to the guests outside of the hotel. "Hello, everybody. Welcome. It's time, so if you'd like to go in?"

Clyde entered, gesturing everybody inside. Luke stood waiting, and after a few minutes, another limo pulled in. He smiled as his mother stepped out, wearing all white. "Mum," he breathed. Sarah Jane Smith smiled at him as her bridesmaid stepped out behind her. "Rani," he greeted. "You look good."

Rani Chandra grinned. "I look good?" she repeated.

"You look amazing," he corrected. "Both of you." Rani smiled, and Luke held out an arm to Sarah Jane. She took it, and he led her inside. "I thought you might have wanted the Doctor to give you away, with his daughter being here."

"I need somebody reliable, and I'm so very, very glad it's you," Sarah Jane told him. "Besides, where would I send the invite? Metebelis Three?"

"SHIELD?" Luke suggested, and Sarah Jane smiled.

Rani frowned, turning her head when she heard a rattled wheezing noise. She shook her head and entered the hotel after her friends.

***

Jenny sat right behind Clyde, watching as Sarah Jane entered with Luke and Rani. She smiled, watching them go. She'd never been to a wedding before, she'd been on a mission when Steve and Martha had married. She'd jumped at the chance when Sarah Jane had personally invited her. She jumped, though, when Clyde pulled up a tablecloth and Luke and Rani sat down. "K9, scan," the boy ordered.