-32-

Hayden Anderson

"Hayden" I broke my gaze from Astraea and looked at my mom. I gave her a weak smile as she took a seat next to me. "Has anything changed?" She questioned while looking at Astraea's sleeping form.

"No" I shook my head, tears burning my eyes. "Nothing. She's been the same since she's got here". My voice cracked as I looked at Astraea's sleeping form. She was beautiful even when sleeping.

Her hair fell down her face and her plumped lips were parted slighlty open. Her hands laid on either side of her body, and the white hospital blankets covered her body.

I wanted nothing more just to here her laugh. Or her witty remarks. I wanted to be able to see her brown eyes again.

Seeing her like this was breaking me.

I couldn't help her.

"Why dont you go home and go get some rest, take a shower and eat". My mother suggested as she placed her hand on my bouncing knee.

I stopped bouncing my knee and looked at my mom. "I want to be here when she wakes."

My mom nodded her head in understanding "I know. But its not good how you arent taking care of yourself."

I shrugged my shoulder and grabbed Astraea's cold hand, trying to warm it up with my own. "Maybe it's a punishment. If I hadnt left, then this wouldnt have happened".

"Hayden, you cant punish yourself. You didnt know". My mom removed her hand from my knee and placed it on my back, rubbing it.

"But I shouldn't have left her alone with him". I furrowed my eyebrows while looking down at Astraea's hand. "She's going to hate me, if and when she wakes up".

"Dont say that. She's your girlfriend and she loves you. Yea, she'll be mad, but she'll never hate you. You had no idea this was too happen". My mother's phone rung and she walked out the room, speaking in a baby voice. I'm guessing my sister's missed her.

But the words that left my mother's words took a stab at my heart.

Astraea wasn't my girlfriend.

She was my fake one.

And I had put my bestfriend in danger because I wanted anything in the world to spend time with Hazel and get her back.

Now as I stared at my bestfriend. My heart broke into a million pieces.

Hazel planned for this to happen with Asher and I fell into their little scheme. All the love I had for her washed away when I heard her bragging with her little minions about what she and Asher planned.

This was all my fault.

"Rae" I paused, my eyes grazing over her face. "If you can hear me, please wake up. I miss you. I'm sorry for causing this and I just want you to wake up." I  brought her now somewhat warm hand to my lips and placed a kiss on her knuckles.

"It's good that you're talking to her". I looked at the old nurse who stood by the doorway. "I'm sorry, if I'm intruding, it's that I need to check her vitals and everything." The nurse softly stated. I nodded my head and just watched as she checked on Astraea's vitals and whatever else she was doing.

"So is there a change" I questioned taking my eyes off Astraea.

The nurse gave me a weak smile "I'm sorry, she's still the same. But keep talking to her, I'll help. And you're a very good boyfriend. You remind me of my husband" She gave me another weak smile before walking away.

I didn't bother correcting her because deep down I've always wanted to be with her.

"Goodnight, Rae" I placed another kiss on her knuckles before laying my head on the edge of the bed.

I went to bed knowing one thing. As the days had went by without Astraea by myside. I realized how much I depended on her. I realized that she was the one.

I realized that I love her. 

I love the girl that was my bestfriend since forever.

~*~

"Hayden"

"Hayden"

I hummed in reply as I removed my head from the bed, rubbing my eyes. I looked at Madison and Colton.

"Hey guys" I muttered before standing up. I felt empty when I let go of Astraea's hand. I looked down at her and smiled half-heartedly "Rae, please wake up. I miss you". I brushed a strand of blond hair away from her face.

"Go home and eat and shower" Madison pulled my arm away from Astraea's bed and tugged me towards the door. "We'll call you if anything happens".

I nodded my head and walked out the hospital. My stomach growled as I hadn't eaten since yesterday morning.

~*~

I walked into Astraea's hospital room. Her mother was being held by her father as she cried over her daughter's body, pleading for her to wake up. Madison was in the corner, crying and being held by Colton.

I took a breath before speaking "Hey" Everyone looked at me and gave me a small smile. I watched as Aelin; Astraea's mother whipped her face and moved away from her husband grasp.

She moved over to me placing a kiss on my cheek and giving me a hug "How are you" She questioned as she pulled away from the hug. This was the first time we actually ran into each other at the hospital as she and her husband will always come at different times then me to see Astraea.

"I've been better" I muttered, my eyes locking on Astraea's body.

"I understand how you are feeling. We'll give you guys some alone time" She gestured for everyone to leave. As everyone left I moved back to the usual blue chair, I've usually sat at whenever I was here.

"Rae, everyone misses you. Homecoming is coming up and I cant wrap my head around how you aren't planning this years dance. I miss our little arguments we always have over the dumbest shit. Hell, I miss you. I love you and I don't mean that as the brotherly way, I've been saying since well forever. The time you've been gone made me realize I was always in love with you and how hard I tried to push it away. Please wake up." I grabbed her hand.

"That was so touching" I looked at Hazel who had her hand to her chest. She was faking pouting as she looked at me. But it soon twisted into a smirk as she looked at Astraea. "It's been going on what almost three weeks" She questioned, raising a brow as she her gaze switched to me.

"I'm not in the mood for you Hazel, just leave"

Hazel chuckled coldly "I just wanted to say she deserves this." She pointed at Astraea's bed "She deserves to never wake up because she took you away from me. I hope she doesn't wake up and dies" She turned on her heel before stomping down the hall.

I swear I felt the floor shake.

"Fucking bitch" I muttered.

My gaze went from the door to Astraea. I looked at her face, her eyebrows were furrowing together and her grip on my hand was tightening.

My heart dropped as I saw her eyes lock with my own. "Rae" A smile crossed my face as I looked at her. But it dropped as she looked at me, her frown was increasing.

Did she not remember me?