𝐂.11

comfort in the closet

MARTHA AND JJ ARRIVE BACK AT the Hollands' home, completely drenched in mother nature's heavy tears

MARTHA AND JJ ARRIVE BACK AT the Hollands' home, completely drenched in mother nature's heavy tears. They drive towards the back of the house because Martha said that her bedroom window is open and that her father would never allow him here.

JJ and Marty quickly hop off his dirt bike as she pulls him towards the tree by her window. The violent winds howl and shake the trees surrounding the plantation. Thunder rumbles darkly, scaring the two kids, and lightning strikes down on some nearby light poles and wires, creating a dangerous flame. Rain droplets pelt down on their bare skin —bruising them with black and blue spots. The water sticks to their faces, sliding down their cheeks and available skin creating goosebumps and shivers along their path.

"Hurry! We can sneak in using the tree!" Martha shouts over the commotion, running over to the big oak tree.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" JJ yells, running right behind her.

Martha finally gets to the trunk of the wooden tree and tries to climb up the bark but it's too slippery to do so. "I can't, I can't climb, the bark's too wet!" She yells, trying her best not to sound too scared over the fact that they are caught up in a storm, and it'll be all her fault if something happened to JJ.

She cared about him more than herself.

Suddenly she feels his hands grip her hips before she is lifted off the ground and pressed against the tree branch. She immediately wraps her arms and legs around the branch, hauling herself up, "next time warn me before, will ya?!" She exclaims, looking down to an amused JJ.

"Yeah, yeah, help me up," he states, holding out a hand for her to take and pull him up onto the branch alongside her.

"I barely could lift weights," she grabs his hand, "how do you expect me to," and tugs upwards, and before she could finish her sentence she eats her words because he climbs up right next to her.

"Okay then, be careful where you step," Martha warns JJ, as she sidesteps on the drenched bark, and JJ grabs her left hand, securing themselves together. The tree sways in the harsh wind, the rain droplets pelt on their faces making them red from abrasions.

The pair finally reach the propped open window, Martha huffs as her fingers grip the wet edge pushing the window up, and then finally, clawing at the flap of plastic, she pushes up the screen —tearing her pointer nail.

"Oww! Fuck!" She yells, seething through her teeth as her hand shakes from the pain. Her fingernail almost tore off, the under layer of skin bleeding and red.

She heaves as she crawls into her bedroom, being careful not to hurt her finger anymore. She grabs the edge of her dresser in order to stabilize her and help her move into her room with barely any sound. Once she's finally inside, she turns around to help JJ into the warmth. The two teenagers were shaking from the cold and beaten in the storm.