41

Kegan woke up to a cold bed, but he could smell the remaining scent of Calix, proving his mate had came home at some point last night. The sound of water falling echoed in the bathroom, making Kegan smile to himself and slide out of bed.

He ran to the bathroom and found Calix leaning against the wall in the shower, clearly exhausted. Instead of leaving his mate to shower, Kegan stripped himself of his clothes and knocked on the shower door, not wanting to intrude despite his neediness for his mate at the moment.

"Hey," Calix said, seeing Kegan through the steam in the shower. "What's up?"

"Can I get in?" Kegan pleaded, giving him innocent puppy eyes, hoping that Calix would agree.

Calix hummed and pushed the glass door open, stepping aside so Kegan could step in. He was thankful he had two shower heads installed so that one person wasn't awkwardly standing out of the water freezing their ass off.

Kegan turned on the shower head behind him so hot water was flowing over his back and hitting Calix's stomach. Once he was comfortable and warm, Kegan opened his arms and embraced his mate, cuddling into his chest.

Calix sighed contently and pressed his nose into Kegan's hair that was covered in shiny tears of water, the light in the room reflecting the droplets. He wrapped his arms around Kegan's waist, slowly running his fingers up and down his back.

"When did you get back?" Kegan whispered, resting his chin on Calix's chest and looking up at him. "The bed was cold but your scent was there."

"Around three," Calix responded, closing his eyes. "Had to get Alex and Oliver to Lys' room and then I laid down for a bit, but I couldn't sleep."

"What time is it?" Kegan suddenly asked, realizing he never checked the clock.

"Five, I'd guess," Calix said, all of the tenseness leaving his body as Kegan massaged his neck and back. "I can't relax."

Kegan laughed softly, continuing to try to ease the tenseness and tightness from his muscles. "I can tell," he murmured, trying to remain optimistic to ease Calix's anxiousness. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Calix hummed lowly, the vibrations radiating against Kegan's head where he was laying on Calix's chest. "After we shower," he said softly, grabbing a bar of soap and rubbing it down Kegan's chest and back.

"Okay," Kegan murmured, closing his eyes and enjoying the feeling of his mate cleaning him.

It definitely appeased to his instincts and was making Jade purr and coo in pleasure. Since Omegas, even in modernized packs, often took care of their Alphas simply due to their instinct to care for their mate, it was extremely honoring and pleasing to be cared for by his mate.

"He's so cute," Zakai cooed in Calix's mind. "Our perfect little mate."

"He is," Calix agreed, putting down the bar of soap and pulling out a bottle of shampoo and rubbing a bit in Kegan's hair so it was sudsy and white. "Is Jade saying anything?"

"He's shy."

"About what?"

Zakai snorted. "Ask Kegan. He's blushing."

Calix looked down at Kegan, realizing he was right. His mate's face was tinged pink, and it wasn't just from the hot water.

"Why're you blushing, love?" Calix asked, making his mate blush an even darker red.

Kegan shrugged. "I... I'm really happy," he murmured, a small smile on his face. "I know you're tense and on edge right now, but you're still taking care of me and I didn't think that's something I'd ever get or deserve."