Chapter 41:

Warning: There is some explicit language in this chapter. 

She had been on the road for a while now. Almost halfway home. Home.

Her thoughts constantly flitted back and forth between what she had left behind and what lay ahead. It was ironic, how unravelled she was the last time she had driven up these roads. Now an odd sense of calm had come over her. She knew she had made the right decision.

Her body wound itself in knots when she thought about confronting Taine. She didn't know what she was going to say.

Although she and Taine had been distant (to say the least) in the last few days, she couldn't help but imagine seeing him again. It had been a while since she had felt that familiar longing in her heart for him. It reassured her. That the bond they shared still existed and that she would fight for it, even if it meant unearthing secrets and laying them out bare.

A reckless driver had just rushed passed her, risking the light that which had changed to amber a few seconds prior. Coming to a stop she shared an irritated look with the woman in the car two lanes over...

Her mind returned to Taine. Like it always did.

She had called the office and left a message for him.

She thought about surprising him but decided it would be better for both of them if he anticipated her when he got home. That way they both could prepare for the inevitable discussion that would follow the long, tight hug from him that her body craved. Part of her yearning was the full moon amplifying her emotions, as it did, but the difference was that rather than keeping her instincts in check, she had let them come to the forefront, knowing that this is what her heart needed, at least for right now.

She didn't think pulling into the gates of the pack would feel so joyful. Her eyes took in the familiar path, soaking up every detail she had taken for granted. The tree's had been slightly neglected in her absence. She made a mental note to sort that out as soon as she got back into her Luna duties.

She didn't think parking the car in the garage or turning the front door key in the lock would bring her unfathomable serenity. And most of all she didn't think coming back would prove to be more painful than leaving...

Camila stepped into the house, and the smile on her face faltered slightly when she noticed the lights were off and the space felt empty. His car was in the garage, so she had assumed he was home, but maybe he walked or had shifted. Maybe something came up and he had to stay in the office...She pondered this as she set down her bags and took off her shoes at the door.

It felt strange but in the best of ways. Opening the cupboards, hearing the squeak of them. Seeing that Taine hadn't maintained the pyramid mug arrangement she was so particular about.

She took the kettle to the sink. Filling it so she could boil some water. But what she saw in the sink made the blood in her veins turn into ice.

Her brain still processing what her eyes had just seen, she filled it, walked the kettle over to the stove and let it boil She didn't realise she had been clutching the handle of the kettle so tightly that it had bent. She returned to the sink, her brow furrowed.

Reaching for the glass she picked it up gingerly and held it so it was eye-level. Even though it must have been lying there for a while, she could smell its contents had been alcohol. The glass caught the light and made the bright pink lipstick stain on the rim come alive. It taunted her, brought out tendrils of dangerous emotion she had hidden in dark places.