38. the dinner party

"Stefan. Where is the lovely Elena tonight?" Elijah asked politely and Brynley took a sip of her water.

"I don't know. Ask Damon." Stefan said and Brynley and Elijah looked at them confused.

"I'm sorry, you two have missed so much." Klaus apologized.

"Because of you." Brynley mumbled.

"Ah, trouble in paradise." Klaus said.

"One more word about Elena and this dinner's over." Stefan threatened.

"You know what, probably best just to keep Elena in the do-not-discuss pile." Damon smirked.

"It's just the allure of the Petrova doppelgänger, still so strong. What do you say, brother? Should we tell them about Tatia?" Klaus looked at Elijah and Brynley turned to Elijah, curious.

"Now why should we discuss matters long since resolved?" Elijah asked, glancing at Brynley.

"Well, given their shared affection for both Elena and Katerina, I think our guests might be curious to learn about the originator of the Petrova line." Klaus shrugged.

"Well, we're not going anywhere Elijah. Please, do tell." Damon took a sip of his wine.

"Yeah, tell." Brynley smirked and Elijah gave her a look.

"When our family first settled here, there was a girl named Tatia." Elijah began.

"She was an exquisite beauty." Klaus smirked.

"Every boy of age desired to be her suitor, even though she'd had a child by another man. And none loved her more than Niklaus." Elijah explained.

"I'd say there was one who loved her at least as much." Klaus said.

"Wait a minute. So you both loved the same girl?" Stefan asked and a small amount of jealousy rose in Brynley.

"Our mother was a very powerful witch. She sought to end our feud over Tatia and so she took her. Klaus and I would later learn that it was Tatia's blood that we consumed in the wine on the night where our mother performed the spell which turned us into vampires," Elijah answered. "Tatia wouldn't make a decision between the two of us, so for a time Niklaus and I...grew estranged. Harsh words were traded, we even came to blows, didn't we, brother?"

"But in the end we realized the sacred bond of family." Klaus smiled and Brynley rolled her eyes.

"Family above all." Elijah said and lifted his glass, slipping his hand into Brynley's with the other.

-

"So, why don't we move this evening along and discuss the terms of this proposal?" Elijah suggested.

"That's very simple. Klaus gets his coffin back, in exchange, he and the Original extended family leave Mystic Falls forever. Me, Stefan, and Elena live happily ever after. No grudges." Damon explained.

"Wait, what?" Brynley spoke up and looked at Elijah. She didn't want him to leave.

"I don't know where you exactly fit in to this, Tinkerbell," Damon sighed. "I assume you would leave with Elijah."

"I don't think you understand. Elena's doppelgänger blood insures that I will always have more hybrids to fight those that oppose me. I will never leave her behind." Klaus stood up. "Let's say I do leave her here, under your protection, what then? How long before one of you turns her into a vampire? Or worse, how long before she dies caught between your feuding? You see, each one of you truly believes that you're the one that can protect her, and that is simply a delusion. Gentlemen, the worst thing for Elena Gilbert is...the two of you."

"I'm gonna get some air." Damon left the room.

"Let me deal with this." Elijah volunteered and left the room, Brynley following him.

"Elijah!" Brynley called. "Are you gonna leave Mystic Falls?"

"It seems like it." Elijah stopped walking. "But if you were to stay, I would come back, but if you were to leave-"

"I can't leave," Brynley shook her head. "I have a life here, I'm suppose to graduate here, and after I didn't know what was gonna happen, maybe after graduation I would have left, but that was before I knew that I wasn't gonna grow up."

"And now?" Elijah questioned.

"Now, I want to graduate here and then I want to go wherever you are." Brynley whispered and Elijah smiled at her.

-

"What do you say, Klaus? It's time for you to put something on the table. We've made our offer, now you counter." Damon said as he, Elijah, and Brynley entered the dining room once again.

"Okay. I offer Elena's future happiness. You see, what she needs right now is to be rid of you lot. And to fall in love with a human, maybe that nice football player, you know the blond one?" Klaus offered.

"Matt?" Brynley spoke.

"Really?" Damon glared.

"Yeah, why not? They'll marry, live a long and fruitful life, and pop out a perfect family." Klaus said.

"And continue the Petrova bloodline. Every few hundred years, you'll have a new doppelgänger to drain and never run out of hybrids, right Klaus?" Stefan questioned.

"Consider it a small return on my investment in her well-being," Klaus confirmed. "See, after you hand me back the coffin, I'll ensure her safety for the rest of her natural life. You know it's what's best for her. So, what do you say Stefan, hmm? Do we have a deal?"

Stefan walked over to Klaus and took his hand. "Nice try, Klaus. But no deal."

Klaus broke Stefan's arm and kicked his leg. He pushed the Salvatore's hand into the fire place and it started to burn. Damon tried to rush over but Elijah stopped him.

"Elijah." Brynley whispered.

"Stop!" Damon begged.

"Now, bring me my coffin before I burn him alive." Klaus threatened.

"I'll get it." Damon volunteered and walked out of the room.

"Go with him, brother. You keep him honest, Brynley stays though," Klaus said and Elijah glared at his brother. "To ensure you com back. And when you return, I will make good on my promise to you and I will hand over our family."

"I'll be right back." Elijah kissed Brynley's forehead and she nodded.