Chapter 4: Oh my god he's asking for a funeral

Your POV

"I've got ten new cases involving androids on my desk every day. We've always had isolated incidents, old ladies losing their android maids and that kind of crap. But now, we're getting reports of assaults and even homicides, like that guy last night. This isn't just CyberLife's problem anymore. It's now a criminal investigation and we've gotta deal with it before the shit hits the fan. I want you to investigate these cases and see if there's any link." Captain Fowler tells Dad.

I smile. 'Yes! That means more cases for me to be on.'

Dad on the other hand doesn't reciprocate how I feel.

"Why me?" He protests. "Why do I gotta be the one to deal with this shit? I am the least qualified cop in the country to handle this case! I know jack shit about androids, Jeffrey! I can barely change the settings on my own phone!"

"Everybody's overloaded. I think you're perfectly qualified for this type of investigation."

Dad jumps out of his seat, making me jump. "Bullshit! The truth is nobody wants to investigate these fuckin' androids and you left me holdin' the bag!"

'Oh god, I can already see where this is going.'

I stand there and shift uncomfortably next to Connor.

"CyberLife sent over this android to help with the investigation. It's a state-of-the-art prototype. It'll act as your partner."

"No fuckin' way! The only partner I need is (Y/n) and we certainly don't need another one! Especially not this plastic prick!"

"Hank, you are seriously starting to piss me off! Last time I checked, (Y/n) doesn't officially work for the DPD! Now you are a police lieutenant, you're supposed to do what I say and shut your goddamn mouth!"

I know Fowler means that in no offense to me because he's right. I can't officially work for the DPD since I'm only nine, but he still lets me help out.

"You know what my goddamn mouth has to say to you, huh?"

My eyes widen and I look down at my feet. 'Is he trying to lose his badge?!'

"Ok, ok. I'll pretend like I didn't hear that, so I don't have to add any more pages to your disciplinary folder 'cause it already looks like a fuckin' novel! This conversation is over!"

"Jeffrey, Jesus Christ! Why are you doin' this to me? You know how much I hate these fuckin' things. Why you doin' this to me?"

"Listen, I've had just about enough of your bitching. Either you do your job or you hand in your badge. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got work to do."

'Is it finally over?'

I hear the door to the office slam and I jump. "Shit." I curse. I look up at Fowler. "So..."

He sighs and looks at me. "(Y/n) please make sure he cooperates. He listens to you more than he listens to me."

I nod. "I'll try. I'll let the big baby cool down first though."

Fowler chuckles. "Have a good day, (Y/n)."

"You too, Captain," I say to him.

I walk out of the office with Connor at my heels. I sit at my desk, which is across from Dad's, and open my sketchbook. I plan on finishing this drawing.

"Listen, I know you don't like me, but we're going to have to work together, we'll both have to make an effort."

I look up from my drawing. 'You're just gonna make it worse. Why can't you understand that?'