Chapter 16: When Disaster Strikes, You Strike Back (Part One)

On the ride back home Carter couldn't help but curse himself for the way he acted. Tonight was definitely not his night.

He was used to playing with a girl's heart. Sure, it was a cold thing to do but he did it when he was bored with one and moved onto the other. He was used to seeing the tears and hearing them drone on and on about how they'd never talk to him again which was impossible since they tried to gain his attention the next day.

To everyone at school Cerise seemed like the blandest book on the book shelf, but then. That moment he had with her would prove them all wrong. He had actually enjoyed seeing those glasses on her face even though it didn't seem that spectacular at school. Tonight was different and he regretted every single thing except their kiss.

Believe it or not, but he did not expect such a kiss from her. Seeing that Cerise was an obvious nerd who probably hadn't had her first kiss yet. His makeout sessions with Serena were plain dull. Boring. What happened between he and Cerise was diffferent and now he had ruined everything.

*

"Why are you protecting him, Cerise? What if I made it a short and painful death? Okay, long and half painful?"

I threw the blanket over my head as if the thin sheet would block out the talking that surrounded me.

"The nerve of that guy. To think Kelly and I were getting worked up over nothing."

The moment I closed the door behind the whole family had rushed in a second later. Kelly, her mum, and Ronnie bombarded me with questions. West stayed for a while but then eventually got bored after sharing his behalf of saying how he'd pummel Carter. Then Kelly shooed her mum who was threatening to bring the police into this which was so unnecessary.

Don't ask

After I had explained the whole thing to the two, Kelly was trying to drain his address out of me while Ronnie rambled on about my new hair do going to waste.

"I really don't want to talk about this, guys." I said muffled through the sheet that I was under.

"Fine, but I have people, Cerise. One word and he's mashed potatoes." Kelly said, taking the soft sheet off of my head.

I smiled lightly at how serious she was while using the words mashed potatoes in a death threatening sentence. But even that couldn't prevent all the tragic flashes of what happened earlier from haunting me

Without saying another single word to the two, I went asleep after calling Aubrey telling her that I'd be staying over.

*

"In the words of Albert Einstein; "True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.""

I stared at the blank canvas before me. Just a blank space. Blank. That was it. That's how I felt today. Our Art teacher Mrs. Brady ' s kryptonite was art. She was so passionate about it and I admired her deeply for it. There was no one I shared my work with besides her and Kelly. Even when we had assignments to present she'd always let me present it after class when everyone would be gone. I felt most comfortable that way. Not like anyone noticed or if they did; wouldn't really care.

"Miss Brookes, you haven't started a single thing yet."

Mrs Brady's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up to see her long light tangerine curls hanging over me. She was in her early thirties and a had a heart of gold. Probably one of the only teachers at this school with one. But you'd expect that from a woman who just transferred seven weeks ago not knowing anything entirely about these disastrous halls.