XXIX

"You're going soft, Frankie," Drake said, laughing joyously as he roughly patted his shoulder. "Hey, you sure we should be going on a run today? I mean, after Fury came here yesterday and--"

"I've got it covered, Drake," Frank told him roughly. "She won't be alone, Eagle is going to stay with her till we get back. As much as I hate all of this, we can't let some pussy stop us from our normal club activities."

"I know that but...he had a gun pressed to her head. What if he comes back?"

"Eagle will be there," he nearly snapped, giving Drake the hint to shut his mouth about the topic. 

Frank didn't want to leave Charlie alone after Fury's uninvited visit, but he had no choice. The club still had it's duties and the club needed the revenue, these jobs and runs they went on were more important than a psychopath trying to assert their lack-of-dominance.

"Frank!" Charlie screamed from upstairs, causing the two men to tilt their heads up and hear a slight crash as she threw a few items around. 

"Duty calls," Frank said, Drake already laughing hysterically.

"Have fun!" he said, waving him off.

Frank walked to the back and up the stairs, heading to her room, seeing the random items she'd been throwing, in the hallway. He stood in the doorway and watched her pace her room back and fourth, running her hands through her hair. She was stressed and pissed, that was easy to tell, but, all-in-all, she looked terrified.

Sighing heavily, he walked over to her, gently grabbing her shoulder and stopping her movements. Her head was down, her hands trembling.

"What's got ya so worked up now?" he asked, his voice as gentle as he could get it.

She brushed his hand away and glared up at him, her eyes red and pooling with tears. "Dammit Frank, why didn't you tell me sooner about this run? How can you possibly go out when you have a big fat target painted on you?"

Even though he knew she was always worried about him, and that she was possibly the first person to ever care for him in such a way, it still seemed to shock him when he heard her say such things. She was upset and crying and throwing things because she was worried about him and his well being.

A warm feeling erupted in his chest and he gently reached out and pulled her into a tight and warm hug, immediately feeling her relax and her body shake as she began to sob. "I'm scared for you, Frank. I already had to save you from near death because of my brother once. I don't want the next time to be you in a box."

"Everything will be okay."

"You jerk!" she snapped, pushing away from him again, her glare not lasting as she sobbed yet again. "You said that last time! You swore you'd be okay last time! That you would come back to me! I had to scrape you off the floor from that place and watch as Eagle tried to bring you back to life. Don't you get it? I don't want anything to happen to you, Frank. I love you."

He sighed heavily, placing a hand on her cheek and wiping away a single tear with his thumb. "I love you," he said gently. "But I'm president of this club now, Charlie. It's a simple run, I'm not going alone, and Eagle will be stationed with you and given updates the minute anything happens. This isn't like last time."

She stared up at him, trying her hardest to glare, but his explanation had calmed her down just a bit. "Who's going with you?"

"Drake and Cobra."

"How long will the run take?"

"No longer than two hours."

She sighed, placing her hand over his. "If anything happens, Eagle will know right away, right?"

"He will."

"I'll kill you myself if you get hurt again," she threatened, pouting.

He smiled so brightly under his mask and lifted it up for her to see, watching as her red eyes grew wide. For some reason, watching her expression change so drastically made him...flustered and he quickly lowered his mask.

"Hey!" she shouted, trying to reach up to lift it again, but he held it down with both hands. "Let me see! Let me see!"

"No! Quit it!" he retorted back, ducking her reaches. 

"How are you just going to show a face like that and then hide it?" she snapped, jumping on his back and trying to take the thing off.

"You just stared!" he snapped back, holding on tightly to his mask, stopping when she stopped.

"Because that was the biggest and most beautiful smile I have ever seen you make!" she said, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him from behind as he froze. "How many times do you smile like that under your mask?"

"Only when I'm with you," he found himself admitting.

Like a spider monkey, she crawled around him, facing him fully and tightly wrapping her legs around his waist. Slowly, she moved his mask up and stared at his face, her hand gently tracing the two dramatic scars and her eyes staring into those steel grey orbs that seemed to look right through her. "You're more handsome than you think," she said gently, leaning down to kiss his lips softly.

She hugged him tightly, his arms holding her with the same force. "Please, just be safe this time. I don't want anything to happen to you, Frank."

"I'll come back to you this time, I swear," he assured her. "It's a easy run. One we've been on plenty of times. There's hardly any threat for this one."

"If you don't keep your word this time I'll really kill you."

He chuckled lightly. "I don't doubt it."

Hello everyone!

I just want to first start off by saying thank you so much for your countless support and your best wishes regarding my health! It is very kind of all of you and it makes this process so much easier. I will be starting treatment in about two weeks so I have to make it till then!

Hopefully I will be posting a few more chapters tomorrow, please stay tuned. If I do not update tomorrow then I apologize for that.

Thank you all again for your support, please continue to vote and comment, it helps me out a lot.

With love,
D. M. Brightwell