Chapter 26: Monochrome

Enjoy this small filler chapter. (^_^)

~~~

Taiji's world was colourless.

As she stood outside her father's hospital room, she could see the colours draining from the world around her.

Life was dull for her.

The flowers in the garden? Grey

The volleyball in her hand? Grey

The spark in her eyes was losing its shine, like a candle slowly blowing out in the wind.

Taiji didn't shed tears when her father passed. Her expression was blank during the whole ceremony.

What could she do? She was only 13.

~~~

Her years in middle school were just as dull.

People only gave her attention because she was good at volleyball, because she was pretty, because they pitied her.

She knew from the beginning that Eijiro was using her for popularity. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't going to hurt in the end.

~~~

"I never liked you." Eijiro and Taiji stood in the empty hallway, the sun quietly setting outside the window, "You're too boring for me and all you ever do is play volleyball."

Taiji sighed, "Is that all?"

Her blank expression surprised Eijiro, "I'm breaking up with you, why are you so calm?"

"Were you expecting me to cry? To beg you to stay?" The shorter female tilted her head, "Sorry to disappoint then."

Taiji turned and walked away from her now ex-boyfriend. It still hurt even though she saw it coming.

As she sat in the bus station, the warm tears enveloped her face.

"How pathetic of me," She whispered as she tried to wipe the tears that didn't end.

And yet, she didn't notice the boy standing not too far from where she was, watching her with pain in his eyes.

~~~

The first day of high school.

Taiji was quietly minding her own business when she felt someone blow gently on her ear, causing her to jump from her seat in surprise.

There he was, Kuroo Tetsurou.

That was the first time in years that Taiji saw color.

His hazel eyes.

"Hey there!" He smiled, "I'm Kuroo Tetsurou."

And for the first time in months, Taiji genuinely smiled.

"I'm Taeko Taiji."

From the first moment, Taiji knew that she had fallen in love with him.

And that she wouldn't tell a soul, ever.

~~~

The gentle scent of lemongrass was the first thing Kuroo noticed about Taiji.

Even in middle school, he would see the small figure walking around, her brown hair swishing behind her.

And the first time he passed by her, Kuroo noticed the faint smell of lemongrass. He turned to look at the girl he passed by, but her figure was already far ahead.

He started noticing the green-eyed girl more often.

And that was when he knew, he wanted to be by her side, even though he didn't understand why.

~~~

As Kuroo walked into his new classroom, he started to look for his seat. He passed a certain brown-haired girl and smelled the faint scent of lemongrass.

His eyes widened and his heart started beating faster.

After taking his seat right behind her, Kuroo made the decision.

He wasn't going to hold back around her, and he was going to stand by her side, even if it was just someone who teased her.

That was enough for him.

Taking a step closer to her, Kuroo lightly blew on her ear.

And when he met her eyes, there was a spark, like a candle suddenly lighting up in the dark.

"Hey there! I'm Kuroo Tetsurou."

The sides of her lips curled up.
"I'm Taeko Taiji."

Her monochrome world wasn't going to be grey forever after all.

~~~

Taiji opened the letter from California, her hands gently trembling.

And she wasn't sure if it was good news or bad news.

And she wasn't sure how to tell Kuroo.