LXIV

I watched as the arrow flew away, out of the borders of Potentia Flamber

I watched as the arrow flew away, out of the borders of Potentia Flamber. When the speck in the sky was no more, I turned to the hologram. King Rasmus stared at Kora, and then turned to me. His wide eyes did all of the talking, and I cherished it. He was learning not to mess with the last standing Feulune.

A little too late for that.

The arrow crashed through a window in whatever room they were meeting at. The glass shards broke further as they clattered on the ground. King Rasmus pushed King Oskar to the front as he ran away from the charmed arrow. I quirked a brow as he got cornered.

Behind me, the battle raged.

I summoned a flame with a free hand, and hoped they rejuvenated once more.

King Rasmus growled and activated his element. The arrow flew everywhere around the room, unable to hit its mark. Papers flew about, glasses of vinum crashed against the wall, the golden seats fell back and broke, even the table was swaying from side to side.

The lines in his forehead deepened as he concentrated on his wind. Finally, he sent the arrow flying away from him, but it made its mark on Prince Linus' chest. His eyes almost bulged out of his skull as he crumbled to the floor just when the wind stilled.

King Rasmus stared at his dead son before turning to me. I expected him to cry out to me, to sob, to lament the death of his only son. Instead, he grinned.

"You will never get rid of me," he snarled. "I will get the Inlustris from you, and you'll know what true pain is."

I rolled my eyes. "I already know what true pain is." With a flick of my wrist, I materialized another arrow, shimmering in blue. Pressing the tip to my lips, I whispered his name once more.

Kora took aim again as I winked at King Rasmus. Before the arrow flew through the sky, he activated his element. Wind swished everyone's hair, ruffled their expensive suits, and destroyed the room inside.

Clashes of swords caught my attention, and I turned to see more enemy soldiers falling. Lifeless eyes stared at me as I choked in a sob. This needed to be over.

A loud cry came from the hologram. King Oskar, pressed against a wall, stared down at the arrow that impaled through his chest. Blood dripped from his thin lips as he made eye contact with me. And then he fell sideways as the life left his body.

Without a second's hesitation, I created another arrow.

Kora wordlessly took it from me. My eyes travelled toward the people, who stared at King Rasmus and King Davian. I wondered where Prince Mahli was, but I didn't bother to care. The target was King Rasmus.

He was the one that started this, he was the one that would suffer the consequences for this. He needed to die. It was the only way to stop him. If he had used his element for good, the way it was intended for, then maybe we wouldn't be in this position. Things would've been different.