Try again (Jaehyun)

Y/N's leg was shaking.

She only realized it when Jiyeon placed a hand on her knee to make her stop. "Here, drink this," she said, giving Y/N a plastic bottle of chilled water.

"Thanks, unnie," Y/N said as she accepted the bottle. She unscrewed the cap and gulped down half of its contents.

"It's just another radio show," said Jiyeon. "And besides, it's not you who should be nervous, it's him," she said looking straight at the boy behind the huge glass panel.

One of the people sitting near the control panel motioned for the two girls to go inside. Y/N let out a breath and stood up. With her head held high, shoulders squared, she walked into the room and greeted the two people sitting inside with a short bow of her head, just out of courtesy.

She took the seat furthest from the boys, leaving the other one for Jiyeon. Slipping on her headphones, she realised that it was her song that was being played, the one from the album that the duo had just released.

She went through the papers placed in front of her for the third time that evening, so that she wouldn't have to look at the radio hosts.

The song stopped playing and the radio host started with the introduction. "Hello, everyone. You're listening to NCT night, night, and I'm your host Johnny," he said.

"And I'm Jaehyun," said the other, the one Y/N was determined to avoid.

The two hosts said their lines from the script and then it was the girls' turn to introduce themselves. The show was running smoothly, and for a little while Y/N had fun as she laughed genuinely. From the corner of her eye, she could see Jaehyun glancing at her even when she wasn't speaking. She didn't once look back.

The radio show was nearing the end of its half. In this segment they were reading stories from listeners and giving them advice accordingly.

Johnny read out a girl's story that shocked Y/N since it reminded her of her own. As he finished reading the story he turned to the girls for their response.

"That was a very awful thing for the boy to do," said Jiyeon.

"Indeed," said Jaehyun, which made Y/N look in his eyes for the first time that day. What a hypocrite, she thought. "Let's ask miss Y/N," he continued. "Do you believe in second chances?"

The emotion is his voice jolted Y/N. The softness and hopefulness in Jaehyun's tone was too much for her. She shook her head at once, "no, I don't."

"Why not? I'd say everyone deserves a second chance," he raised a challenging brow at her.

"Didn't you hear that girl's story? She clearly said how she chased after that guy after he broke up with her. She tried to resolve whatever misunderstanding they had. And now, when she's finally moved on and is content with her life he wants to come back.

"A relationship isn't a hotel where you can just check-in and check-out whenever you want." She finished. She released her tight grip on the edge of the table that she didn't realise she had. "Most people do deserve second chances, but there's no use giving it to someone who pushed you away. Who's to say they won't do it again?"

"Yes, but if you really love them, you wouldn't let them go so easily, right?" Jaehyun continued on, being as persistent as ever.

"You're absolutely right," she said and Jaehyun raised his eyebrows in surprise, clearly taken aback by her agreeing with him. "The guy let go of the girl, that must mean he doesn't love her."

Jaehyun's eyes widened and he quickly shook his head, "I didn't mean it like that-"

"Anyway, the girl's better off without him, no use giving him another chance to ruin her life."